HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Proposed rule changes for shipping blackpowder
Old 06-28-2007, 06:25 PM
falcon
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Proposed rule changes for shipping blackpowder

Thanks for the link. Scanned the proposed rules. Me thinks it is not a big deal. There were very few comments on this proposed rule until today. Most of those were by private individuals who use black powder recreationally. So far as storage and shipment goes it is my belief the ATF rules will prevail. Several years ago the ATF prohibited the shipment of certain explosive materialsby UPS and FEDEX shipment. When a whole bunch of oil fieldjobs and government contractorjobswere shut down or nearly shut down, ATF relented.Furthermore, i believe that OSHA rules do not apply to most gun shops since they do not have 10 or more employees. It is my personal belief that a lot of guns shops do not want to be bothered with black powder, so they do not order it.

Any kind of explosives can be shipped by a less than truckload (LTL) carrier. Did you ever see a trailer on the road with placards all over it?These guys haul all kinds of stuff, including hazardous materials.When i worked here locally, the truck driver would call me when he left Wal-Mart to tell me he was on his way with my high explosives and detonators.

http://www.allbusiness.com/human-resources/workplace-health-safety-employment/11512-1.html

"There are[/i] exceptions to the OSHA regulations for some small businesses. For example, there is a partial exemption for employers with 10 or fewer employees. Small businesses of that size do not have to keep OSHA injury and illness records unless OSHA or the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) informs them in writing that they must keep records."

"In addition to small businesses with less than 10 employees, businesses in certain industries are also exempt from OSHA’s regulations. If your business establishment is classified in a specific low-hazard retail, service, finance, insurance, or real estate industry, you do not need to keep OSHA injury and illness records unless the government asks you to. However, all employers must report to OSHA any workplace incident that results in a fatality or the hospitalization of three or more employees."

"There are[/i] exceptions to the OSHA regulations for some small businesses. For example, there is a partial exemption for employers with 10 or fewer employees. Small businesses of that size do not have to keep OSHA injury and illness records unless OSHA or the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) informs them in writing that they must keep records."

"In addition to small businesses with less than 10 employees, businesses in certain industries are also exempt from OSHA’s regulations. If your business establishment is classified in a specific low-hazard retail, service, finance, insurance, or real estate industry, you do not need to keep OSHA injury and illness records unless the government asks you to. However, all employers must report to OSHA any workplace incident that results in a fatality or the hospitalization of three or more employees."