Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Tightening Groups with Open Sights >

Tightening Groups with Open Sights

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Tightening Groups with Open Sights

Old 05-22-2007, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Tightening Groups with Open Sights

With open/peep sights,I use a large 17" archery target, Then I take bright yellow duct tape and make a cross over the target. That way you can see where your front sight is on the target.
Redclub
Old 05-22-2007, 09:20 PM

Be happy with your groups---don't be beating yourself up to get better, that will only disappoint you.

You should try to get them as good as you can though. Try different powders, loads, and bullets, and if you want the best accuracy, learn to swab occasionally. One key to shooting better groups for me is to have a good target thatI can see real well. I just put a black circle on a paper plate and I can always see it. The number one key, by far, is practice, so work on your form, make sure you aren't flinching the shot, and have a good time doing it!!!
Old 05-23-2007, 04:47 PM

Think there was one Q that wasnt asked here, was 3" done off hand or off the bench?
From the bench Id agree with everything suggested as you should really be getting a 5 shot cloverleaf at 50 yds with everything done up right off the bench.

Now iffen yer getting 3" offhand well, a silver star goes to the shootist. I reserve gold ones fer those that can do 3" offhand at 100...

D.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

While corn meal and wads will work even with pits in the barrel I personally believe that getting the proper combination of patch and ball so you get a good looking patch is going to have an end result of better accuracy if you talk to the long range hawken or mountainman compitition shooters that shoot under 20 inch strings or the round ball bench shooters you will fined thays where most of them start with a gun they are getting ready for compitition. Lee
Old 05-24-2007, 03:26 PM

Lemoyne,

Yer preachin' to the choir, I happen to be one of them folks that has competed in the Mt man shootin events since the mid 70s yer suggesting I get advice from...

Now iffen others want my "secret" recipe fer decent groups (I'm typically good fer 2x-100 @50 yds and around 88-90 at 100 offhand) out of a .50 T/C Hawken, its all in having a mojo bead blessed by a Blackfoot shaman hangin from the guard...

Iffen ye twist my arm I'll say 85gr 2f Goex, .015 patch, CCI magnum#11 caps and the rest is consistency of loading-cleaning after each shot, practice, practice and more practice.

Keep yer powder dry,

D.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:27 PM
Spike

Southpaw, knowing nothing about muzzleloading, I used the same tactics I used handloading formy .308. Bought a CVA Buckhorn last winter, tried Pyrodex 1st and Powerbelt Aerotips. The 348 grain dropped real fast, the 245 was all over the place, but with the 295 grain aerotips and 100 grains of pyrodex, I'm consistently getting 3" or less groups at 100 yards. Even can get a consistent 8" group at 200 yards. Open sights of course, can't hunt ml elk here in Colorado with a scope. MyCVA has a 1 in 28" twist, so it seems to like those powerbelts. Have yet to try anything else bullet wise. Drew my first ml tag today and really looking forward to calling one in so I can try my hand!
Old 05-26-2007, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO the quality of the open sights that are on today's rifles are inferior. Alot of inaccuracy is due to poor sight quality. I personally detest the fiber optic sights. Yes they may be easy to see, but I find them to fail miserably at the range.

I suggest you put a good quality Lyman or Williams peep sight on the back, and a good qualitybead(I like white) on the front. I will bet your groups will shrink drastically, and very quickly. I also suggest you get one of the twilight rear peeps. Thy make shooting in low light conditions very easy. Also one last thing-I like 3F black powder. I believe it is more consistent. Try it. Tom.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

David what years did you compete? I was competing most yaers between 1970 and 1990. Lee
Old 05-31-2007, 05:31 PM

Still do compete but only at the local levels-vous, never went to the regional-national shoots. I'm not that good under pressure and too easily psyched out...
I started just a tad after I got my T/C in '76 while in CO but did most of my comps in CA when I could get to the vous and local in the SF bay area at club shoots. Havent had the time since I moved to MT so Im about 3 yrs out of "practice". Even then its hard to put a 2x-50 up against someone that gets 5x-50 like some of the yahoos Ive run into...

Keep yer powder dry,

D.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

One thing that has help me immensely is to degrease your rear sight, mask a 1/16" size "post" in the center of the U or V notch with masking tape and paint a white post there. I used my wife's white fingernail polish. (has to be pure white). I also painted my front bead white. This does two things - it helps with sight alignment, especially in low light and is a good contrast to the target, be it a black dot or deer or whatever.

Quick Reply: Tightening Groups with Open Sights

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.