Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Tightening Groups with Open Sights >

Tightening Groups with Open Sights

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Tightening Groups with Open Sights

Old 06-03-2007, 05:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Tightening Groups with Open Sights

Now this is just my personal opinion, but I think a lot of the poor/could be better typegroups with open sights is caused by the sight itself. For instance, the sights that come on a Thompson Center Renegade are so thick that at 100 yards they cover the bull of most targets. How can someone shoot for a smaller spot with a sight that large? My Lyman Trade rifle has a buckhorn sight on the other hand that I find very easy to focus with.

My friend used to always take a silver dime and cut it in half. He would then sodder that to a wedge and shape that for a front sight. Being that color and thinner, he shot much better groups with it.

These sights, made by Lyman are sold through Cabela's. They are one of my favorite style. For some reason I can focus on them and I get a great sight picture. I have a friend that shoots them and I have had the opportunity to shoot his rifle and they are very nice. I have a rifle that I am going to replace the irons with for these.

If sights are not the cause, the I look at the shooter's stance, and finally their eye sight. That is of course if they have a load worked up. I personally have found that out to 75 yards with open sights I am fine, but I am finding more and more problems when I start pushing the 100 yard mark. I actually think I will rethink my max distance with iron sights. That is a personal choice on my part as I'd hate to wound an animal.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:55 PM

Default RE: Tightening Groups with Open Sights

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Now this is just my personal opinion, but I think a lot of the poor/could be better typegroups with open sights is caused by the sight itself. For instance, the sights that come on a Thompson Center Renegade are so thick that at 100 yards they cover the bull of most targets. How can someone shoot for a smaller spot with a sight that large? My Lyman Trade rifle has a buckhorn sight on the other hand that I find very easy to focus with.

My friend used to always take a silver dime and cut it in half. He would then sodder that to a wedge and shape that for a front sight. Being that color and thinner, he shot much better groups with it.

These sights, made by Lyman are sold through Cabela's. They are one of my favorite style. For some reason I can focus on them and I get a great sight picture. I have a friend that shoots them and I have had the opportunity to shoot his rifle and they are very nice. I have a rifle that I am going to replace the irons with for these.

If sights are not the cause, the I look at the shooter's stance, and finally their eye sight. That is of course if they have a load worked up. I personally have found that out to 75 yards with open sights I am fine, but I am finding more and more problems when I start pushing the 100 yard mark. I actually think I will rethink my max distance with iron sights. That is a personal choice on my part as I'd hate to wound an animal.
Id be inclined to agree with the biz about thinner being better. I use a german silver front blade (lots of folks that cater to the vous crowds sell them and they fit most std. dovetails). Rear is a homebuilt full buckhorn that I did a special cut to match the front blade via a dremel cutoff saw.

But as you pointed out (indirectly) sometimes getting the rear, front and target all matched up at longer ranges with *older* eyes may require yet another change from blades to possibly a peep and either a bead or a hooded front with interchangeable reticles...

Some folks go cheaper and cut a new rear sight dovetail and move the rear sight forward on the barrel. Kinda interesting when one runs across a piece with 3 or 4 dovetails with the sight in the furthest point cuz of old eyes are causing focusing issues...

D.