Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Tightening Groups with Open Sights >

Tightening Groups with Open Sights

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Tightening Groups with Open Sights

Old 05-22-2007, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default Tightening Groups with Open Sights

I have been shooting my .50 caliber Traditions Woodsman rifle a lot lately. I started at 25 yards and have worked my way to about 75 yards. I swab between shots and have been using 80 grains of 777, .490 patched round ball and CCI magnum caps. I am using the standard sights that came with the rifle.

I would like to know how all the other open sight shooters tighten up their groups? Is it just a matter of practicing more, changing sights, and/orexperimenting withdifferent loads at different ranges? I am happy with the current load I am using.At 50 yards, I was at about 3 inch group. At 75 yards, I am at about6 inch group.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:40 AM

Default RE: Tightening Groups with Open Sights

I'd switch to pyrodex RS. i never had any luck with triple 7 and PRB when shooting for tight groups. 80 grains RS would be a great load to start off with. My traditions flintlock for example loves 110 grains goex. Im betting RS would help you out a lot.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:13 PM
Dominant Buck

southpaw - great rifle there. I have two of them. As for getting a tighter group there are a couple things you can try. You can experiment with different powders and with different charges. Some rifles while they like a powder such as Triple Se7en with really tighten up the group with a simple switch to say Pyrodex RS or even Goex or some other powder. Also you can try putting a wad between the powder and the patch. Triple Se7en has a habit of eating patches. You did not mention what condition the patches were in after being shot, but the further you go back in distance the even more critical the patch condition will show on a target. Here is a reason for the wad between the powder and the patch as it will protect the patch.

So, you can change powders, change charge amounts, change projectiles, lubes, patches, all of these might or might not effect your accuracy. Also you're right, practice is the best medicine when it comes to getting better groups. The more you learn your sight picture, and the trigger pull of the rifle, all of that, will show on the target. Be very careful next range trip to address the rifle in as close a manner each and every time, when you shoot. What I mean is, where the stock fits your shoulder, where your cheek rests on the comb, where you grip the rifle and how hard you grip. If you pull a rifle to hard into you, that can effect your accuracy. If you hold them too loose, the same can happen. Somewhere in all of that is a happy medium that only range time will tell you of.

I would start with the address of the rifle to your shooting stance. Try and be consistent. Use the same aim point and sight picture. Practice breath control. In time, all of that will pay off and the group size will be cut down.

I bought a Tradition Woodsman Flintlock with a 1-48 twist not too long ago. I really like the way the rifle shoots. My other Woodsman has a 1-66 barrel and is percussion cap. In the Flintlock I shoot 85 grains of Goex 2f. I learned the rifle does not like 3f as well. In the percussion I can shoot almost anything with excellent results. Pyrodex RS and a roundball does real well.

Good luck and keep shooting. By the way, I have a couple friends that I shoot with, that would be real happy for a 6" group at 75 yards. One limits his shots to 50 yards or less because of his group size. Of course when hunting and he sees a deer, he wiggles so bad, the only safe place is behind him as there is no telling where he will shoot.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Many things can influance a group,with my hawken I had to go 5 th bigger on the ball and to a thicker patch, 777 is known for blowing patches ,I suggest pyrodex I had one 50 cal that would only shoot good with P but with 90 gr. ofP it would shoot 2.5 inch groups at 100yds. Look at your patches if they are burned or torn up then you will have to start by fixing that. Lee
Old 05-22-2007, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

You have a friend like that too??? The only difference is mine is using a bow and arrow and as long as I am at least 50 yards away, I am safe.
I have some of the RS and will give that a try. I was hoping to stay with triple 7 because of the cleanup, but if it will tighten the group, I am all for change. I assume that I am burning up my patches as I am not finding them down range.I will put some cornmeal with the load and see what happens. What else could I try besides corn meal.

I assumed the correct answer to all this would be practice, and I don't mind that at all. I practiced shooting standing and sitting and try to do both with every outing. As far as the sights, any suggestion on that? I would like something with a halo around it, but I don't think Truglo offers that for octagon barrels.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:45 PM
Dominant Buck

http://www.truglo.com/content/products/firearm/muzzleloader/muzzle_brite.asp

If your not finding any patches, I am guessing that they are being blow apart. It is no wonder the accuracy is starting to suffer at longer distances. Try some corn meal. 20 grains is plenty. Cream of Wheats can also be used. Although you might become labeled a cereal killer...

Another thing you can do is go to a hardware or tool store and get a cheap 1/2 inch hollow hole punch and some 100% wool felt construction grade. Punch out a bunch of bore buttons. Smear a little more butter on them and use them between the patch and the powder. It will protect the patch and help keep the barrel cleaner.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3838

Old 05-22-2007, 12:48 PM
Dominant Buck

I shoot a CVA Mountain Staker in .54 caliber. I shoot 80 grains of Triple Se7en 2f, load a felt wad, then the patch and ball and this is a deadly rifle. I had to add that wad because the Triple Se7en was blowing out the patch. Once that was done, you could almost reuse the patch if you really wanted.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't be happy with a 3 inch group at 50 yards...and I shoot flintlocks...
When I was younger and had better eyesight I used to shoot in competition
I could consistantly keep all my shots inside 1 1/2 inches at 50 yards...Now
my guns are custom and have 42 and 38 inch barrels and the sights are
finer than on production guns...I agree with changing powder, I only shoot
Goex black powder, even in my Knight inline, I just don't worry about easier
cleanup, not in a black powder gun, it just goes with the territory...

You definately need to work up a load that does not burn the patches...Either
use cornmeal, Wonder Wad, hornets nesting, whatever between the powder
and ball...I would also work with different patch lubes and use at least a .015 or a .018 patch and only use cotton parching...If real black powder is hard to get, try Pyrodex R-S and then try different charges....Once your recovered patches look like they can be used again you are on the right track....A charge between 75-100 grains is plenty for whitetails....I use 80grs FFF Goex in my .54 and have never had a problem with
this load....

Lastly, try the 6 o'clock hold, I seem to get tighter groups using this...
Old 05-22-2007, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

I guess when I say happy with 3 inch groups, you have to realize that I have only hunted with inlines prior to this rifle and nothing without a 3 x 9 x40 scope so 50 yards didn't seem that far. When you are looking at a 4 inch circle at 50 yards with open sights, knowing where to put the dot is a little more complicated. I should have said that I am satisfied, but it is a work in progress.

I will pick up some buttons and trysomecornmeal as well. I will also shoot tomorrow with pyrodex and see what happens. I won't be able to get to bass pro tonight or I would pick up some Goex as well. Once I have a good load and am not blowing up patches, I will work on my technique and holding on the shot. I will also try to shoot off of a bench or bags tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help
Old 05-22-2007, 01:25 PM

i always aim at the bottom of the black circle.

Quick Reply: Tightening Groups with Open Sights

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.