Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Cabela's cap & ball >

Cabela's cap & ball

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cabela's cap & ball

Old 04-26-2007, 06:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Cabela's cap & ball

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

What I have done isTacked & Glued a piece of wood infront of the notch, added a thickier piece of felt and a brass Cabinet Catch to the back of the Hinged board.
I noticed those add-ons and I like them. I'm going to try to do the same.
Thanks
Old 04-26-2007, 02:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Gruntr Huntr

ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

I do some Cowboy Action Shooting with the 1875 Remingtons, these are cartridge revolvers,butI recentlyhad the opportunity to shoot a pair of the Colt 1860 Army repro's, which they also use in CAS shooting, and it's given me the bug to try my hand at a pair of the Navys to see if I might like to shoot matches with them.

As for getting into traditional muzzleloading, all I can say about that is that it's worth every extra effort!!! I'vehunted withtraditional muzzleloaders for years and it's the most rewarding hunting there is to me because its not about trophies or numbers, its about HOW you harvest the game regardless of its size. It makes a doe as exciting as a buck, or, a pheasant as exciting as 3 pheasants!

I recommend you try it and see what I'm talking about.

I have shot a few traditionals and loved every moment of it. The only problem is the price of those things. I can't afford crap until I pay for mytruck.

I may be able to get a reasonably priced pistol but it's doubtful.

I agree 110% with the comment about how you harvest the game. I am one of the few in my area who still bowhunts and muzzleloads instead of pulling out the rifles and shotguns. I am as proud as I can be of anything I harvest.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:55 PM

Rebel Hog, that is one sweet looking gun--and stand. I always wanted something like that to put in my room lol.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:50 PM

I have the 1851 navy confederate flag model in .36 caliber from cabelas and its timing and trigger pull and all are excellent. I couldnt find any flaws anywhere. Havent shot it yet. I bought some wads for it instead of grease for sealing the cylinders. I hope it shoots as good as it looks. The frame is of brass but I think the .36 loads wont be as hard on it as the .44 loads would.The pic on the cabelas web site shows the pistols having fluted cylinders but mine is solid with the rolled on naval scene. Maybe the 1858 in .36 cal. for the same price would have been better. I have an all steel 1860 Army hartford model in .44 from EMF that has served me well so I needed a .36 to play around with.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:14 PM
Fork Horn

The 44 caliber in these Army & Navy revolvers is nothing compared to cartridge 44 caliber. I've been shooting a brass framed Army for a couple years and can't tell that there is any loss of integrity to the framework. I did do an action job on it to smooth it out and that was really worth the effort.

I think its important to note that these new revolvers seem to be of very good quality when compared to some of the earlier products, and, I'm sure, like everything else, the cheap ones are cheap for a reason.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:55 AM
Spike

Default Triple p loader?

Rebel Hog

Do you know where I can find a Triple - P Loader to buy?
Thanks dr4pat