Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Traditions shenandoah 50cal >

Traditions shenandoah 50cal

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Traditions shenandoah 50cal

Old 04-10-2007, 05:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Traditions shenandoah 50cal

I almost bought a used one from the local gun shop for $275 but after looking at the pins it was apparent someone removed them without sufficient care and the wood was somewhat dented. I passed and that turned up great as the next week I found a White Stainless 97 with a laminated stock and a stainless scope in a hard case with sabots and bullets for $325 delivered. Am waiting to see if the condition of "Great" was really true. I am still waiting for my White T-Bolt to get a barrel installed and with the White company looking sad at this time I may have to rely on the 97 for a while to shoot big conicals. I would much rather have the White but did not expect to fall into that kind of a deal as they usually get bought before I get to them. I missed the Sportsmans Warehouse deals and kicked myself for being slow.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:06 PM
Spike

well... so far Im not at all impressed with this gun. in fact... very disappointed! Got it back from the Traditions gunsmith and it appeared as tho the hammer problem was fixed. He replaced the fly on the tumbler. So I ran out the Gander and bought this cleaning tube I needed. Came home and gave the gun a nice bath. Got it all ready to take up north and shoot for the first time. After cleaning I decided to fire a few caps and realized the hammer still has the same problem. Its not nearly as bad as it first was but its still a problem. Hammer is cocked, set trigger, fire and the hammer only falls to half cock. maybe1 or 2outta 10 times this will happen. does it sound like theres still a problem with the tumbler or this a normal thing until the gun breaks in?
Old 04-12-2007, 03:17 PM
Dominant Buck

I read of some rifles that usedto have to be cocked different with a set trigger. Try this. I am not saying it will work, but its worth a try. The hammer is down mind you. Now pull the set trigger FIRST with the hammer down, and now cock the rifle. The set trigger should still be on, and I think this will cause it to pass the half cock position in the fly.

Then again, this might not work at all. I hope it does.

I had the same thing kind of happen to me with a CVA rifle. I sent it in because the trigger broke at #12 pounds. They fixed it and sent it back with a #3 pound break. Cock it, and the hammer would suddenly fall on its own. Like the time it was in the gun rest cocked while I was adjusting my ear protection and suddenly it fired. I was not touching it of course. Sent the rifle back and they have it fixed right this time.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:22 PM

my mountain rifle still does that now and then. I think its just the fly sticking. its gotten a lot better and rarely ever does it. Give it some time to break in.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:09 PM
Spike

Im heading up to Necedah for turkey hunting. I leaveMonday afternoon!!! Ill be bringing the Traditions along with some other guns I need to sight in so Ill see how it performs. Hopefully its just a break in issue.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:00 PM
Dominant Buck

There are lots of turkey around Necedah. When driving through the refuge onHwy 80southbound towards Necedah one afternoon, I had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting a car in front of meand a large flock of them. The person in front of me was not so lucky and he smoked three or four of them right in the road. I felt kind of bad because there were some that were injured but not dead. And of course, if you touch one of them out of season the DNR will eat you alive, so I drove on.

Every time I go through that area I see lots of turkey in the grass ditch lines, out in the field edges, and walking through the hardwoods.. Good luck with your turkey hunting. I use to hunt them over near Reedsburg, WI in Sauk Country.

If you get the lock off, be sure it is nice and clean back there and spray some silicon on the fly and lets hope it cures itself.