Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Oh, Man!!! What a great morning... >

Oh, Man!!! What a great morning...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Oh, Man!!! What a great morning...

Old 04-11-2007, 04:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Oh, Man!!! What a great morning...

It was a little more windy than I thought it would be, a real cool wind from the Montana (the east) but who cares? Got a couple of things done and it was really fun...

First stop was a small meadow by Little Boulder Creek.... the squirrels were up and running. I limit myself to one box of bullets on these trips other wise I would be out there all day... + with just one box I always leave seed for a return trip...

Score:
45 shots....
40 popped ground squirrels - one of them required two shots....
4 misses - dang, but it was windy and they were 100 yard shots...

Also they are not very fat yet... when they stand up next to their hole, they are really skinny right now - doesn't take much at the longer ranges to go left or right of them...

Also made it to the rock pit to finish up sighting in the e-bay "K" barrel... It is the last barrel I bought off e-bay and my last for awhile according to Terry.... well, according to Terry it is my LAST barrel, but I figure by the middle of the summer she'll forget...

Anyway the "K" barrel really settled down and shot well with 80 grains of T7-3f and a 400 grain Bull Shops. Those Bull Shops shoot so well in no time at all I had shot the entire top layer of bullets.. sorry Cdad - guess I will not be giving them back to you.

The last activity of the day was I set up 10 clay pigeons at various rangesfrom 25 to 100 yards, then started shooting those brealable targets. That is so much more fun than punching holes in paper...

Funny thing, when Istarted shootingIwas more concerned with hitting the 25 and 50 yard pigeons than I was the 75, 85, & 100 yard pigeons, but I got em all with one shot except for one of the 100 yard birds.

Everyday should be like this... I need a job where somebody just pays me to shoot... Remember the days of Government Hunters- that would be a good job....

OK... next project - the original Renegade 54 cal barrel.... I never have got it to shot conicals worth spit. I will shoot sabots just fine, but really does poorly with conicals.... The only conicals I have tried are TC 435 grain Maxi Hunters, TC 530 grain Maxi-Ball and Hornady 390 grain Great Plains Conicals. Any suggestions out there that might shoot well? Actually I guess I should go back and shoot these same bullets again and see if I get any better results.... I would like to find a "slip fit" that might work in it....

Hope everybody gets out to shoot soon.... I know you guys around the lakes are taking a winter beating right now, but it will end...

Old 04-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Oh, Man!!! What a great morning...

Well at least someone had fun today while I was slaveing away at work. Great shooting sabotloader!!
Old 04-11-2007, 05:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Sounds like you had a good day. I am surprised those 1-48 twists are working so well with the big conicals. Sounds like you have some real shooters in your collection..
Old 04-11-2007, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cdad had a good day too, I think. He bought another UltraMag.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:36 PM

Heck sabotloader....if we can't ask you, who else are we going to ask? Sounds like a great day!
Old 04-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

UC

Got an e-mail from him siad hegot it off DWB, just can not believe some one would even sale one once theygot it....

He couldn't wait to rub it in a bit....

Old 04-11-2007, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like great fun SL! What were you using on the Squirrels? I'm envious and not sure I'll get to shoot for a while. I have to head to the tropics to torment some bonefish, tarpon and permit with flies! Yipieeeeeee.....
but I am gonna miss the range . I may cut out of work early Friday so I can shoot before leaving Saturday. I swear the smoke's addictive.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mike, JJ Doohan listed it for a friend of his on DWBs - it was not a DWB selling though. I jumped on it to find out more information - Cdad doesn't know yet that I passed on it so he could have it. I think he owes me money for that.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

yeoman

Sounds like you are going a vacation & to the tropics - ouch! I really feel sorry for you.... You know it must be the smoke that is the cause of the problem... I agree...

Savage 17HMR - what a great invention...

UC

He was pretty happy about absconding with another one... I'll have to mention tohim your role in thedeal, and you are right he has been looking for awhile for anotherWhite....

Old 04-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Typical Buck

Diggers, diggers, diggers be gone. Way to go taking out some of those pesky Diggers.

Quick Reply: Oh, Man!!! What a great morning...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.