Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

White rifles

Old 02-15-2007, 10:33 AM
Spike

Default White rifles

I see people here are pretty happy with their White Ultra-Mags. Occasionally Whites show up on the auction boards. I've seen a Lightning and some 91s...haven't yet seen an Ultra-Mag.

What models did White make? What's the difference between the Ultra-Mag and the other models (including the 91 and the Lightning)?

What is it about the White that makes it such a good shooter?
Bob
Old 02-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: White rifles

I only own a White Ultra Mag. Prior to getting a White, I never could make myself believe 100% all the claims/stories I heard about the rifles. While I was out there using special words and fighting ramrods to load certain projectiles, the White owners claimed, you push a conical under the muzzle with your thumb, and then with two fingers can seat the conical onto the powder charge with no problems. Well it was all true.

While you hear everyone talking about trying this and that projectile out of other rifles, I was told.. load 70 grains of Triple Se7en 3f or Goex 3f and a 460 grain conical. Go shoot it. Don't bother to swab the barrel and then come and tell us how it shot. As for the simple #11 cap ignition, leave it be, it will not fail. Well needless to say, it just shoots them all into the same hole. Again, they told no lies.

The White also shoots about anything I have shoved down the bore. Yes there might be an exception, but I normally shoot conicals. I buy them cheap. I shoot them off fast because I am not out there swabbing the barrel between shots. Just shoot, load and shoot, load and shoot. They all go in the same hole normally and it gets boring, so I do a lot of experimentation shooting. Different powders, projectiles. and the rifle always amazes me.

When sabotloader told me his White shot sabots... Well not I have an whole other area to play in. He was not kidding, that is a sabot shooting rascal.

Whites are also a very well made rifle. They put excellent heavy duty barrels, BOLD triggers, solid stocks, and excellent fiber optic sights. You have to see one and hold one to appreciate one. Just make sure if your not the owner give it back. He'd miss his rifle terrible.

Some of the models are; Whitetail G series, Bison, Lightening, Model 97, Ultra Mag (which is a model 97 with a longer barrel), Model 98, Thunderbolt (for the bolt action lovers), the Super 91 and the Super 91-II then there is a Tominator shotgun as well. I am sure I have missed some.

The difference between the models are, the length of the barrels, the number of locking lug bolts, the tapering of the barrels, and the weight of them. Also some are stainless and some are blue. Of all the models I have looked and and had a chance to actually handle, I like the Model 97, the Ultra Mag, and the Super 91-II. I have not handled a Whitetail G series or the Bison but have been told they are great shooters. Its near impossible to find a lightening model and if you do, you better buy it fast because it will not last long.

The company is out of business. Which is a a shame as it was not the fault of the product that caused this to happen. The rifle is just a great rifle. Like all companies I have no idea what caused them to go down the toilet, but from the companies I have been involved with, you can usually look at the management as the cause,as someone is ready to flush, for themovement. Whether this happened in Whites case I could not say.

I purchased my rifle because there came a fantastic deal on them. A deal that now I wish, when I had two of them rifles in my hands I would have bought both of them. Live and learn they say.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

gunbroker.com has whites on there some times, I also have not seen the ultra mags on there. Just the 91 and 97
Old 02-15-2007, 06:07 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: savagescout

gunbroker.com has whites on there some times, I also have not seen the ultra mags on there. Just the 91 and 97
The Ultra Mag is a model 97 with a Stainless Steel 26 inch barrel. The Model 97 is a great rifle though.