Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 bullet size for elk hunt >

bullet size for elk hunt

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

bullet size for elk hunt

Old 02-05-2007, 01:58 PM

Default RE: bullet size for elk hunt

Another good source for lead is to try some of the small independent X-ray companies. Older x-ray units used a lot of lead as counterweight material. Believe It or not some units had as much as 200 pounds in them.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: okelkhunter

I will be going black powder hunting for elk in Colorado next fall and I have had more conflicting information on what bullet size to use on my elk hunt. I have had people tell me the powerbelt 295 is big enough and some tell me to go to the 405 gr powerbelt. What bullet have you used on elk hunts and what grain.
Since your a fawn on this forum,a little investigative research and search for "Power Belt blows up" in google and see what you come up with. Also seach this forum for PowerBelt Disintegrates and "Don't Overdrive a PowerBelt". The following was said about PB on another forum. If they won't work on deer Isuspect they would not work well on Elk, althought I have never hunted elk. I would go to the No Excuse or Bull Stop that others arerecommending or the Harvester SabreTooth:
http://www.harvesterbullets.com/sabertooth.htm
which iseasy to load and does not fragement. My brother now shoots these after having PBfragmentation issues. I hope that helps, I don't want to start another PB war, just want to inform you of all your options.
Chap Gleason

Old 02-07-2007, 05:56 PM

to frontier gander, I will be hunting in GMU 71 in Colorado near Dolores and I will be using a 50 cal encore.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

to frontier gander, I will be hunting in GMU 71 in Colorado near Dolores and I will be using a 50 cal encore.
okelkhunter,

I've noticed that many encore and omega owners hunt elk during regular ML season in colorado with powerbelts. I think because they find them to their bore's liking and get the accuracy they need. While the 348 is predominately the favorite, I would definitely use the heaviest which shoots accurately. Ironically, considering your rifle model, powerbelts may be the place to start.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I will be going black powder hunting for elk in Colorado next fall and I have had more conflicting information on what bullet size to use on my elk hunt. I have had people tell me the powerbelt 295 is big enough and some tell me to go to the 405 gr powerbelt. What bullet have you used on elk hunts and what grain.
IF you are going to use PowerBelts, (which should be just fine), use the 405 or 444grain flatpoint, NOT hollowpoint! You want the deepest penetration you can get, and the 295 grain is a little short on sectional density for big, heavily built animals! I consider it a deer bullet.

In my Traditions .50 Lightning Liteweight, I have used the White flatbased 420-grain bullet with 90 grains of Pyrodex "P" with perfect satisfaction. I put a WonderWad under it.It loads just as slick in that barrel as a Power Belt, and hits like a freight train!
Old 02-10-2007, 11:20 AM

Most folks out here shoot the 348 grain Powerbelt. The Aerotip, not the the hollowpoint. They seem to work pretty well on broadside rib shots. Testing I have done suggests they are a bit soft for encounters with big bone. I would also lean towards the 405 grain, or even the 444 grain.

In the past six months, I have been testing the new 338 gr. Platinum Powerbelts. They appear to be tougher than the 348 regular Powerbelt - maybe about the same level of penetration/expansion as the 405 gr. regular Powerbelt. They also can handle velocities approaching 2,000 fps while maintainting good accuracy. Haven't given them the wapati field test yet, but they look real good on paper.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

110 gr. FFFg Triple Seven
350 gr. Saber Tooth
1,727 f.p.s
2,313 f.p.e
A pass through on a 1100 pound buffalo dropped him on the spot hit just high enough over the heart to get both lungs.
If I was going to use a PB for anything other than varmits I would use a 444 gr flat nose or steel point R.N. I had some a couple years ago and of all the PB's theywere the best.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

110 gr. FFFg Triple Seven
350 gr. Saber Tooth
1,727 f.p.s
2,313 f.p.e
A pass through on a 1100 pound buffalo dropped him on the spot hit just high enough over the heart to get both lungs.
If I was going to use a PB for anything other than varmits I would use a 444 gr flat nose or steel point R.N. I had some a couple years ago and of all the PB's theywere the best.
What does the flat nose do for you or is it the 444g that is doing the penetration and not breaking up? Can you do shoulder shots with the 444g PB? Chap Gleason
Old 02-12-2007, 01:07 PM

I think between the flat nose and the length of the bullet, the 444 gr Powerbelt gives some expansion, but not the "pancake" expansion of the regular hollowpoint Powerbelt. A person I know shot a bison with this bullet last year. It expanded moderately and didn't come apart.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

I think between the flat nose and the length of the bullet, the 444 gr Powerbelt gives some expansion, but not the "pancake" expansion of the regular hollowpoint Powerbelt. A person I know shot a bison with this bullet last year. It expanded moderately and didn't come apart.
OK. Thanks. Good to know this. Chap Gleason

Quick Reply: bullet size for elk hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.