Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 bullet size for elk hunt >

bullet size for elk hunt

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

bullet size for elk hunt

Old 02-01-2007, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bullet size for elk hunt

I shot my cow in 2005 with a 370 Grain T/C Maxi Ball over 80 grains of powder. I would not hesitate to use that combo again on anything in the lower 48. Though I am going to try a Buffalo Ball ET this year on deer if I draw a tag.

Later,

Marcial
Old 02-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

I no longer use powerbelts smaller then 405 gr.and starting next year I will no longer use them. I am not as knowledgeble about blackpowder as most of these guys on here (most of them amaze me with their knowledge) but I feel confident to talk about powerbelts.

For some reason I think the explode when they hit a bone internally, and become effective. If they dont explode, they go right through without expanding. They are easy to load and real accurate, but I will no longer use them for even whitetail hunting.

An interesting thread, one that made me start looking at this forum all the time is called "Powerbelt Disentagrates" http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1886707&mpage=2, I would read it to learn more peoples opinion of Powerbelt.

Some people like them, I used to, and they shoud shoot them if they want to. But I would not advise anyone to shoot them, especially at elk.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:52 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

congratulations on the new White rifle. What model and caliber did you get? By the way, once you start shooting them big conicals your other rifles are going to get lonely...

I bought a White Stainless Thunderbolt action and stock from an auction site. I sent it to Doc to have the barrel installed and apparently the barrel supplier told him it was available and now is not. He is looking for a suitable barrel for me without going to a custom barrel. I told him I don't need it until May or June to get ready for fall hunt. The 24 inch barrel is available but the 26 is the one in question. I had hoped to make this a long shot rifle so I wanted the extra two inches for the big heavy bullets. along a similar line I found out White makes a slip fit bullet for .500 bore rifles like the Omega. I just ordered and received them but have not had time to shoot them yet. I have to go to a range to shoot (unlike some lucky people that can shoot outside the back door). Forgot to add it is going to be a .504 just to make it legal everywhere. I could use the .451 in Arizona but those barrels are less available than the .504.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Underclocked
Cdad, yes - ah git $80 evertime sum1 orders 1000 wads frum TOTW an $150 evertime sum1 orders a bullet frum Dan. Hmmm, kickbacks...
Well, thanks for finally admitting it.

And MLKeith, next time ya talk to Doc, ask him to please check his garage one more time. I hear he's got a lot of "stuff" in there.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: andrewjoseph

I no longer use powerbelts smaller then 405 gr.and starting next year I will no longer use them. I am not as knowledgeble about blackpowder as most of these guys on here (most of them amaze me with their knowledge) but I feel confident to talk about powerbelts.

For some reason I think the explode when they hit a bone internally, and become effective. If they dont explode, they go right through without expanding. They are easy to load and real accurate, but I will no longer use them for even whitetail hunting.

An interesting thread, one that made me start looking at this forum all the time is called "Powerbelt Disentagrates" http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1886707&mpage=2, I would read it to learn more peoples opinion of Powerbelt.

Some people like them, I used to, and they shoud shoot them if they want to. But I would not advise anyone to shoot them, especially at elk.
That thread was a war of words, either you love them or you hate them. Bookmarking thethread saves everyone from another war.
Chap Gleason VA
Old 02-01-2007, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sharp Shooter

I know guys who hate powerbelts.
I am another one in their camp. I am sure they have logic and experience to their reasons and we don't have to go into it on this thread, 'cause we beat that horse pretty well on another thread called "PowerBelt Disentagrates", andrewjoseph provided the link. Chap Gleason Va
Old 02-01-2007, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: andrewjoseph

Interesting that if you put "Powerbelt breaks apart" into Google Search, that thread pops up! Is that how you got there? Chap Gleason Va
Old 02-03-2007, 01:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I cast a 525 grain bullet out of an RCBS adjustable mold. I have found this bullet to be very effective on elk. If you are ever in northern WV, stop by, and we can cast a few bullets. Tom.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

I cast a 525 grain bullet out of an RCBS adjustable mold. I have found this bullet to be very effective on elk. If you are ever in northern WV, stop by, and we can cast a few bullets. Tom.
My wife and I are leaving in about 10 minutes to visit Inwood WVA to look at some new houses. I plan on retiring from govt in 3 years (my daughter is freshman in college) a move to Shenadoah valley somewhere. Where are you in WVa? I know 0 about casting, but there must be something to it, since fellows buy BullStop and No Excuse for elkand they look like strong good bullets. Would like to learn about it more.
Chap Gleason Piurcellville Va
Old 02-03-2007, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have found casting to be alot of fun. It is just like anything else, once you get started you can not stop. I have become a lead hound. Looking for lead anymore is like looking for gold. Good lead is getting harder and harder to find. I used to have a good supply. I had a good friend who did church windows. Churches use pure lead to set their windows. It is hard to believe that they are exempt of government restrictions in the use of lead, but it sure was a good source.

I am in Morgantown,WV. Tom.

Quick Reply: bullet size for elk hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.