HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - bullet size for elk hunt
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2007, 03:20 PM
gleason.chapman
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bullet size for elk hunt

ORIGINAL: okelkhunter

I will be going black powder hunting for elk in Colorado next fall and I have had more conflicting information on what bullet size to use on my elk hunt. I have had people tell me the powerbelt 295 is big enough and some tell me to go to the 405 gr powerbelt. What bullet have you used on elk hunts and what grain.
Since your a fawn on this forum,a little investigative research and search for "Power Belt blows up" in google and see what you come up with. Also seach this forum for PowerBelt Disintegrates and "Don't Overdrive a PowerBelt". The following was said about PB on another forum. If they won't work on deer Isuspect they would not work well on Elk, althought I have never hunted elk. I would go to the No Excuse or Bull Stop that others arerecommending or the Harvester SabreTooth:
http://www.harvesterbullets.com/sabertooth.htm
which iseasy to load and does not fragement. My brother now shoots these after having PBfragmentation issues. I hope that helps, I don't want to start another PB war, just want to inform you of all your options.
Chap Gleason