Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 I found my sweet load >

I found my sweet load

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I found my sweet load

Old 01-25-2007, 05:05 PM

Default RE: Frontier Gander

Outdoorslover, if you are shooting 3.5" at 100 and the same at 50 yards, that tells me You need to float the barrel. My x-150 used to be odd like that untill i used these shims and lifted it a tad. Go do the paper test and see what it will do. With these shims i used, theres no cutting or anything involved, just put the proper size hole in the shim and add one under teh front and rear lug, put it together and see if it will pass the paper test, if not, remove the barrel, add 1 more shim and so on. I used 3 shims but this brass shim im using is fairly thin. Im betting if you use these, you're going to get great accuracy. I went from 2" @ 100 down to 1" at 100 yards with that huge buick.. ahem, i mean with that huge bullet i am shooting. Heres a pic of my stock with the shims. I added a little rubber cement around the edges to hold them in place when i remove the barrel. Outdoors, if its a trust issue, point to someone in the board that you do trust and i can send it to them and then they can send to you. I honestly think these will help shrink your groups.

Old 01-25-2007, 05:48 PM
Typical Buck

Wisewood, the brass measure is 100 grains by volume, your father's scale is by weight. You want to use the volume measure.

Outdoorslover, you sound very happy and I for one am happy for you. I was thinking today (always dangerous) that I wish we had a way to decribe our target results other than group size. What was you MPI (mean point of impact at 100) and in which quadrant? How about at 50?

If you said I shot 6 rounds with this combination with 3.5" group, MPI of 4" in the Southeast quadrant, I'd get a much better visual of your success. And then if you said, you shot the same group size at 50, with an MPI of 2.5" in the Northeast quadrant, we might all learn more about these weapons.

I was just studying my two targets from the last two weekends out in the shop (after putting out a goose rig in the dark before the ground freezes, snow squalls now). I was shooting 270 Sabertooth, 80 RS at 100 both times, with 4X scope. 3 shots each time. The first target, group was 3.5", MPI of 4, Southeast. Second target group 2.3", MPI of 4, also Southeast. MPI's were 1" apart. At 50, this load printed a 3 shot group of 4", MPI 4.5", Northeast.

I'm feeling pretty confident that if I now move my scope UP 2", Left 3.5", I'm gonna have paydirt. I'll find out Sunday!

So give me the details!
Old 01-25-2007, 05:56 PM
Spike

Yeoman , Thankfor replying . Which one you suggest most seroius MZ shooters use by volume or weight ? Am I actually shoot 85 or 110 grains ? I am confused

Old 01-25-2007, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

Wisewood, when you hear "grains" in muzzleloder talk that means volume, which is what the brass measure gives you. The weight of the powder in grains is what your father's scale gives you. Leave the scale at home and use the brass measure. It's convienient and surprisingly accurate.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

WiseWood,Do be careful of the fact that maximums are set buy volume measure not buy weight, the only powder that is anywhere close to weight in a vplume measure is black powder.
ASK Roskoe, or Cayuqad orUnderclocked or what ever experianced person you chose, just do not load by weight with out understanding that weight limits are a lot lower than volume limits.Lee

Old 01-25-2007, 07:59 PM

OK Guys. These are the links to the photos of the targets. I normally don't like to hassle with posting them but here they are. Just copy and paste. I don't remember which are which so I'll go into them and tell you.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:06 PM
Typical Buck

I can highlight your URL, hit Edit, Copy but where the heck am I supposed to paste it?
Old 01-25-2007, 08:08 PM

In the address box

I think I screwed it up though. I might have to redue it. CRAP!!!!
Old 01-25-2007, 08:15 PM

I hope your shooting is better than your picture posting Just kiddin.

All you have to do is copy the URL and hit the yellow button with the MOUNTAIN/SUN looking picture.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:17 PM

OK I got it guys. Just use this part.It should work without a problem.

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/5985/huntingphotos005td7.th.jpg

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/9132/huntingphotos001fm3.th.jpg

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/3994/huntingphotos002xi2.th.jpg

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/332/huntingphotos004um3.th.jpg

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/5985/huntingphotos005td7.th.jpg

Quick Reply: I found my sweet load

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.