Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Flint Lock recomendations >

Flint Lock recomendations

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Flint Lock recomendations

Old 01-16-2007, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Flint Lock recomendations

I was going to purchase an inlineML originally, but in PA I felt that a FL would be more ideal with our deer seasons. Anyways, I was looking atthe T/C firestorm and thoughtit was nice.I'm not too concerned on price as I am quality. Are there any otherFL's that people recommend that I should look at before purchasing one. I'm pretty much a rookie when it comes to FL's so any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Flint Lock recomendations

That is a real fine rifle. I would look at the Stainless steel model. It has a removable breech plug which would make it a little easier to clean. I have heard a lot of good things about the Firestorm as for quality, ignition speed, and accuracy.

Other rifles to consider are the T/C Hawkins & Renegade in .58 caliber from FoxRidge Outfitters. With the larger bore, you have a real knock down rifle that can hunt any animal, even elk. FoxRidge sells them in Flintlock.

The other make of Flintlock you should consider are Lyman. They have a Great Plains Rifle, GP Hunter, Trade Rifle, and Deerstalker. Depending on which one you like the twist of them differ. They are also very good quality.

Pedersolli makes a good quality rifle as well.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

i bought a TC 50cal Hawken flinter. great gun. great shooter. if i had to do it all over id buy a 54 or 58cal though. just because i like shooting patched round balls. bigger ball=bigger hole. though a 50cal hole through the lungs of a deer=dinner. only thing i dont like about the firestorm is its too "modern" in looks for me. id LOVE a removable breech plug. but after i started flintlocking i love it...and love the looks of a more traditional looking gun. i almost bought a firestorm. but for me im glad i didnt because i learned more about it and like traditional looking rifles now...but thats all it came down to was looks and feel. i also like the looks of lyman guns.

also besides cayugads list check out RMC flintlocks. they are a company here in PA. i ordered ALOT of my supplies from them when i started flintlocking. great company. i hear ALOT of good about their guns. they have a removable breechplug...1:28 twist would make an awesome sabot shooter..or 1:48 barrels for balls or conicals...L&R locks(which are supposed to be GOOD locks)..just a good solid rifle from the looks..a little expensive but comparable to a new lyman or TC...

heres their link http://rmcsports.com/catalog.htm

when buying a flintlock id shy away from cheaper ones. when your shooting a flintlock the lock is the most important thing. gotta have a good geometry, quality parts and a good fit. thats where cheaper guns lack...and the barrel too more times than not. but any of the ones listed would make fine rifles for sure..good luck...be warned.....its addicting. after looking i WANT a RMC rifle...and want a custom rifle too..i think its something in the BP smoke thats addicting
Old 01-17-2007, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mauser06

i bought a TC 50cal Hawken flinter. great gun. great shooter. if i had to do it all over id buy a 54 or 58cal though. just because i like shooting patched round balls. bigger ball=bigger hole. though a 50cal hole through the lungs of a deer=dinner. only thing i dont like about the firestorm is its too "modern" in looks for me. id LOVE a removable breech plug. but after i started flintlocking i love it...and love the looks of a more traditional looking gun. i almost bought a firestorm. but for me im glad i didnt because i learned more about it and like traditional looking rifles now...but thats all it came down to was looks and feel. i also like the looks of lyman guns.

also besides cayugads list check out RMC flintlocks. they are a company here in PA. i ordered ALOT of my supplies from them when i started flintlocking. great company. i hear ALOT of good about their guns. they have a removable breechplug...1:28 twist would make an awesome sabot shooter..or 1:48 barrels for balls or conicals...L&R locks(which are supposed to be GOOD locks)..just a good solid rifle from the looks..a little expensive but comparable to a new lyman or TC...

heres their link http://rmcsports.com/catalog.htm

when buying a flintlock id shy away from cheaper ones. when your shooting a flintlock the lock is the most important thing. gotta have a good geometry, quality parts and a good fit. thats where cheaper guns lack...and the barrel too more times than not. but any of the ones listed would make fine rifles for sure..good luck...be warned.....its addicting. after looking i WANT a RMC rifle...and want a custom rifle too..i think its something in the BP smoke thats addicting
I liked the RMC flinters also, but settled on a TC because I felt the company would be in business 10 or 15 years from now. RMC is good for supplies, but maybe not for buying a rifle that you will keep 30 years. FL have way of going bad on the Frizzen also, so I felt TC was better buy with their warrany. I like the older looking rifles also. In fact I have a Hawken, but like the looks of the Renegade. My sparks every time.
Chap
Old 01-17-2007, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you want quality.... www.flintlocks.com
Jim Chambers kits are considered the best.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:41 PM
Fork Horn

Ok, so I want to know more about the traditional guns. I have never shot one, so what is the main difference between a flint lock and a percussion? One uses a flint to arc and start the powder and one uses a cap that is struck by the hammer? Which one is more reliable? What about the twist rates? 1 in 66 = patch and ball? 1 in 36 or 1 in 48 = Conicals? Never seen a 1 in 28 for traditional while reading so I am assuming this is for the modern inlines and sabots? Sorry for so many questions in one post but I want to follow you guys with the traditional guns a little better in your posts so when the time comes for shopping for one I will pretty much know what I am looking for.