Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Late Season Doe

Old 01-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Spike

Default Late Season Doe

Been reading alot of information on this forum and this is my first post.

I typically only bowhunt, but decide to get into ML. Illinois has a late CWD season in some counties with an over the counter tag for $5, antlerless only. Got this girl after sitting for 2 hrs. and decided to still hunt before leaving. Notice movement ahead and saw the deer with her tail up. I probably push her, but she wasn't sure where I was. She moved back toward me and gave me a 30 to 40 yard broadside shot. Hit right behind the front leg with an exit wound low and in front of the opposite leg. Exist hole looked no bigger than the entrance wound. It ran about 25 yards and dropped. Very good blood trail.

Using a Remington Genesis, 2 - 50 gr. Pyrodex pellets, and 295 gr. powerbelt. I have since picked up a TC Encore, so might sell the Remington, but so far it is accurate at 100 yds with both PB's and sabots.

Regards. Joe

Old 01-15-2007, 04:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Late Season Doe

joeyc

CONGRATS! - be careful you'll get yourself hooked on ML hunting.....
Old 01-15-2007, 06:19 PM
Dominant Buck

congratulations with the black powder deer. Sounds like you made a perfect shot. Also, welcome to the forum. Good to have you here. I am sure the Encore will serve you well also.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Welcome!...........Good Job! Congrat's
Old 01-15-2007, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: joeyc

Been reading alot of information on this forum and this is my first post.

I typically only bowhunt, but decide to get into ML. Illinois has a late CWD season in some counties with an over the counter tag for $5, antlerless only. Got this girl after sitting for 2 hrs. and decided to still hunt before leaving. Notice movement ahead and saw the deer with her tail up. I probably push her, but she wasn't sure where I was. She moved back toward me and gave me a 30 to 40 yard broadside shot. Hit right behind the front leg with an exit wound low and in front of the opposite leg. Exist hole looked no bigger than the entrance wound. It ran about 25 yards and dropped. Very good blood trail.

Using a Remington Genesis, 2 - 50 gr. Pyrodex pellets, and 295 gr. powerbelt. I have since picked up a TC Encore, so might sell the Remington, but so far it is accurate at 100 yds with both PB's and sabots.

Regards. Joe

Your hooked, you bought an Encore. Congratulations.
Chap Gleason VA
Old 01-16-2007, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

Nice going on the doe! Does the state require you check the deer in for a CWD test during this special season?
Old 01-16-2007, 08:28 AM
Spike

You have to check the deer and CWD testing is then optional. If you provide a tissue sample then they will issue an either-sex tag at no charge and this can be repeatedthroughout the 3 day season. There really isn't many cases of CWD in these areas, but I guess they are being cautious. They also encourage testing during the regular seasons, but it's not required.

Thanks everyone. It is amazing how much information you can gain in a short period of time through forums like these.

Regards. Joe
Old 01-16-2007, 11:23 AM
Typical Buck

Welcome aboard! Great looking doe and fine eating. One thing you don't want to do is sell your guns especially when they havegreat accuracy. After all "he who has the most guns wins" You're hooked like the rest of us.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:49 PM
Typical Buck

Welcome to the board & congrats on your harvest.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:01 PM

Nice going there!!!! You're definetely hooked now. I personally would take that Encore over the Genesis. Whichever one you like best.

Welcome to the forums and the sport of blackpowder.