Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Cracks in Kodiak Synthetic Stock - Resolved >

Cracks in Kodiak Synthetic Stock - Resolved

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cracks in Kodiak Synthetic Stock - Resolved

Old 03-05-2007, 04:17 PM

Default RE: Cracks in Kodiak Synthetic Stock

You lucky SOB! thats beautiful! Enjoy it and try not to scratch it!
Old 03-06-2007, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Cracks in Kodiak Synthetic Stock

MOArcher and others
The barrel on my wood stock is not bedded but shimmed up to prevent it from rubbing the left side after sanding off the nibs from the finish coat.
How much difference will it make? Won't know till the weather breaks. WouldI recommend it for a SYN stock. Not sure I ever did but if the wells were deep enough I might. Since you had two cracked stocks, that might lead me to believe that the lugs coming off the barrel were not to spec because all stocks would be cracking from other guns. When it was tightened down it might be causing fatigue becauseof torque exerted in the perfect manner causing the stocks to fail. There seems to be much less material around the lug wells. Just my take.
I will tell you that I had my model 700 reciever is now bedded and the barrel floated. It made one heck of a difference. That barrel also was rubbing on the left side.
The Kodiak and the Omega have thick barrels and @ ignition w/a pressure point on the barrel it would seem logical it could change the harmonics and cause variationson impact points.
If you look @ and older BDL barrel channel there is a spot there the stock is purposely pressed against the barrel. After experimentaion on a production rifle I'm sure they figured out a good spot to do this and it was done for all the rifles. Some would shoot fair, great and some excellent. Mine shotpretty good butdue to very wet weather in FL and NY I neededto be able to take the action out numerous times for cleaning. Had it bedded and it shot much better.
When I raised my Omega out of the stock by .050 w/test shim stock that was just enough to allow a dollar bill down the barrel channel w/o interference till it touched the front lug.
Like I said, I would be surprised if CVAdidn't give you a laminated stock after two stock cracking if nothing more than PR,good will and to satisfy the customer completely.Just good common sense.

One thing about ML'ers or any shooting you do we always try to limit variables. I never modified my original stock other that lightly sanding down the barrel channel w/ sand paper and steel wool.

Please no one confuse my terms about shimming and bedding or take any chances as I would hate to see a piece of iron or SS in the eye socket after ignition... Be Careful! What works for me may not work for you...
Best of shooting.
SHills