Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Any powerbelt users or bullet experts?? >

Any powerbelt users or bullet experts??

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Any powerbelt users or bullet experts??

Old 01-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Any powerbelt users or bullet experts??

Thanks Chap, I have noticed that loose is cheaper by a lot then pellets. Pellets are easier, but I bet once one gets used to pre measuring loads it doesn't take any longer to reload.

Old 01-02-2007, 08:52 PM
Fork Horn

bowhunter John, I have not personally used power belt bullets, but I can help you, if you decide to try other load and bullet combos. I have a ton of experience with Hornady XTP's, T/C shockwave/Hornady SST, Barnes Expander MZ and Barnes Spitfire BT.
I play with my muzzleloaders year-round. I shoot the original Knight Disc and T/C Omega. I have come to a simple conclusion. These guns are capable of shooting a 150 grains of powder, but I have found that they can not shoot 150 grains accurately. My favorite load is 130 grains of triple seven. That is 2-50 grain pellets and 1-30 grain pellet behind a 250 grain bullet. I can stack bullets at 100 yards, and shoot 2.5 to 3 groups consistenly at 150 yards...
To my credit I have taken 3 bucks over 140" in the last 4 years. All of which have been over 100 yards. 1 at 116 yards, 1 at 119 yards, and the last at 127 yards, 2 of which were heart shot and 1 double lung. 5 does in the last 4 years. All with my muzzleloader. I have shot 2 deer with XTP's and was not thrilled with it's performance. They had seemed to fragment and seperate from their copper jackets (found both bullets in animals). Shot 2 with Barnes Spitfire BT's found 1 on a hard quartering away shot. Opened up like a flower and no fragmenting(was extremely pleased to find it and see how it performed). Shot a doe with the Hornady SST at 60 yards this year and was not pleased. It was a heart shot, found the bullet on opposite side of deer, just under skin. It showed signs of high fragmentation and started seperating from jacket. Shot2 moredoes this year with Expander MZ's, no bullets found, but upon butchering, seen the devestation of bullets. Massive hemmoraging, but was contained, seen no signs of fragmenting.
In conclusion. First and foremost. I don't care what kind of bullet you shoot, its all in the placement. Invest in a range-finder. Of the mentioned bullets above, I particularly like the ballistics and performance of the Barnes Bullets. The SST/TC Spitfire had great ballistics as seen on the range, but did not like the way it had fragmented in doe this year. The XTP's performed average at the range and was not at all pleased with fragging and seperation of jacket.
Lastly I think you give up a lot ballistically when going to a 300 grain bullet. You are only hunting whitetails. not Brown Bear. A 250 grain bullet is more than sufficient and its flatter shooting. I've taken black bear with the same set up.Remember, with what ever you decide to go with its all in bullet placement, be good to yourself and the game you pursue, and invest in a range finder..............
Old 01-03-2007, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowhunterjohn

Thanks Chap, I have noticed that loose is cheaper by a lot then pellets. Pellets are easier, but I bet once one gets used to pre measuring loads it doesn't take any longer to reload.

You can buy these little plastic powder only "speed shots" for .80 and make up 10 or 15 loads. That way your only got your measure out 1 time. Part of the hunt is the getting ready, which is also fun in itself.
Good luck. Chap Gleason Va
Old 01-03-2007, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: whitetailcrazy

bowhunter John, I have not personally used power belt bullets, but I can help you, if you decide to try other load and bullet combos. I have a ton of experience with Hornady XTP's, T/C shockwave/Hornady SST, Barnes Expander MZ and Barnes Spitfire BT.
I play with my muzzleloaders year-round. I shoot the original Knight Disc and T/C Omega. I have come to a simple conclusion. These guns are capable of shooting a 150 grains of powder, but I have found that they can not shoot 150 grains accurately. My favorite load is 130 grains of triple seven. That is 2-50 grain pellets and 1-30 grain pellet behind a 250 grain bullet. I can stack bullets at 100 yards, and shoot 2.5 to 3 groups consistenly at 150 yards...
To my credit I have taken 3 bucks over 140" in the last 4 years. All of which have been over 100 yards. 1 at 116 yards, 1 at 119 yards, and the last at 127 yards, 2 of which were heart shot and 1 double lung. 5 does in the last 4 years. All with my muzzleloader. I have shot 2 deer with XTP's and was not thrilled with it's performance. They had seemed to fragment and seperate from their copper jackets (found both bullets in animals). Shot 2 with Barnes Spitfire BT's found 1 on a hard quartering away shot. Opened up like a flower and no fragmenting(was extremely pleased to find it and see how it performed). Shot a doe with the Hornady SST at 60 yards this year and was not pleased. It was a heart shot, found the bullet on opposite side of deer, just under skin. It showed signs of high fragmentation and started seperating from jacket. Shot2 moredoes this year with Expander MZ's, no bullets found, but upon butchering, seen the devestation of bullets. Massive hemmoraging, but was contained, seen no signs of fragmenting.
In conclusion. First and foremost. I don't care what kind of bullet you shoot, its all in the placement. Invest in a range-finder. Of the mentioned bullets above, I particularly like the ballistics and performance of the Barnes Bullets. The SST/TC Spitfire had great ballistics as seen on the range, but did not like the way it had fragmented in doe this year. The XTP's performed average at the range and was not at all pleased with fragging and seperation of jacket.
Lastly I think you give up a lot ballistically when going to a 300 grain bullet. You are only hunting whitetails. not Brown Bear. A 250 grain bullet is more than sufficient and its flatter shooting. I've taken black bear with the same set up.Remember, with what ever you decide to go with its all in bullet placement, be good to yourself and the game you pursue, and invest in a range finder..............
Whitetailcrazy,
Excellent info here on pass thru, blood trail, fragmentation. Seems to me that if your shooting over 100 yards the 250 is a good choice.
Chap Gleason