Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Anybody shooting conicals out of their .45's? >

Anybody shooting conicals out of their .45's?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Anybody shooting conicals out of their .45's?

Old 12-31-2006, 08:18 PM
Spike

Default Anybody shooting conicals out of their .45's?

Just bought a Knight Disc Extreme .45 for $148 NIB. I want to shoot lead conicals (not the powerbelt type) out of it, but I am a little leery that the 1 in 30" twist might be too slow for heavy conicals. I tried to find a White but could not afford them when I found one. I'm not going to try sabots out of this gun (myOmega .50 is my sabot gun). Thnx Hank
Old 12-31-2006, 08:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Anybody shooting conicals out of their .45's?

Hank welcome to the forum. It's good to have you here. Whether you will be shooting conicals or not will be determined by the rifle. If conicals is what you really want to shoot I would suggest trying some powerbelts, sabertooths, or No Excuse Conicals. Also I would try some maxiball. Maybe one of them might shoot out of your rifle. I don't have a .45 caliber but when I get one it will be a White .451 without a doubt.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hank, try to get your bore dimensions by slugging/measuring. My step-bro and I tried some Lee 457-340F cast bullets, sized to .451 through a Lee sizer and lubed with my own concoction.We were shooting these in Knight Disc Elites with good to excellent results. Same twist rate as your gun.

They are relatively easy to manufacture yourself but Dan at Bull Shop can surely make them for you at prices that remove much of the DIY incentive. Just email him and be specific aboutwhat you would like to try. Dan might offer/suggest other styles and even make you up a sampler pack for reasonable cost.

http://bullshop.gunloads.com/index.html

Here are some of his bullet auctions so you can see other possible candidates. http://www.auctionarms.com/search/auctions.aspx?&ad=bullet%20man%20danStick to the .45 cal stuffand I would recommend youselect weights in the mid 300 grain range for that twist.His 45 cal - 385 gn RN Lyman bulletslook like good prospects but I would just about bet he has that Lee mold I mentioned.

He does a great job of casting, packaging, and is willing to work with the individual customer to fill their needs. You would need pure lead, #2 lube, and sized to .450 or .451. I would also recommend some card wads from Track of the Wolf - probably WAD-460-A (select page 5).

And welcome to the forum.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Underclocked.. that is amaziing. Not only the shooting but the fact it was 60ºs on February 1st. We could post that same number here but you might need a - in front of it.

I cast a .457 423 grain projectile.

it might be interestin to size one of them down and see what they would do ....
Old 01-01-2007, 10:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I find a 45 cal real bullet to work real well in 45 cal underhammer for deer and a PRB for small game. {1-56 twist}
Old 01-01-2007, 01:48 PM

my first muzzleloader was a .45cal. I found bullets made by remington, 285grain conicals that shot excellent. I have no clue what the name is but they came in a hard green plastic case and came with 20 bullets.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

My first muzzleloader was a .45 caliber knight wolverine 209. It did ok with 325 gr Great Plains conicals, well enough that I didn't mind taking it hunting.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:38 PM
Spike

Thnx guys for your insight.
Underclocked, dang good prices at bullshop. I will get ahold of them and see what they can do for me. What powder charge would you recomend for a 300-385gr conical? Thnx Hank
Old 01-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would try 70 grains of any good2F grade and work up from there slowly until accuracy peaks. Small increments. If 3F, start at about 65 grains and again slowly up it. The load used above was 75 grains by volume of Pyrodex P (Pyro equivalent of 3F).

It's supposed to be near 60 degrees here later this week Dave. Of course, the weather boys could always be wrong and we might get 18" of snow instead. edit: forgot to add - that bullet you make might be a real shooter if sized to bore dimension for a .45 but it might be a little on the long side for best results in a 1:30 twist. You never know until you try, but that bullet looks more suited to the faster twist of a White. The great thing is that you can size just a few and if they don't work out for ya, back in the pot!

http://www.missouri-whitetails.com/showphoto.php?photo=440&sort=1&cat=500&amp ;page=4 the group next up from the bottom left was fired from my .451 using bullets I made with a cheap Lee mold and sizer. Besides showing you the similarity in weight to that bullet you cast Dave, I just love posting that pic.

http://www.missouri-whitetails.com/showphoto.php?photo=3043&sort=1&cat=500&am p;page=1 and the one where UC's nerves failed after the third shot. Most all those targets were fired with inexpensive home-cast bullets. Bull Shop's stuff shoots just as well.