Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Shooting Heavy Conicals >

Shooting Heavy Conicals

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting Heavy Conicals

Old 05-26-2007, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shooting Heavy Conicals

When you start shooting heavy conicals do you have to back your charge down? With my 425gr Hornady Great Plains conical I am shooing 100gr FFG Goex. There are some conicals I want to try that are 500+gr. This Yogi conical is 515gr I want to try. They also have a 600gr but I do not know if I want to try that. Then there is the No Excuses 535gr conical. I have also thought about trying some Bull Shops. So my question is when I get over 500gr do I need to back my charge? I know I am going to build up loads when trying these out but what would be a max safe charge for some of these? Is 100gr-110gr FFg safe if my gun likes it?
Old 05-26-2007, 10:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Shooting Heavy Conicals

Sharp Shooter

As you know I am not an avid conical shooter, so I really can not give a lot of first hand information. I have shoot the 460's with 100 grains T7-3f down to 60 grains of T7-3f. Beside the recoil going up a bit i really did not feel that I was getting that much boost to the efficiency of the bullet with those higher levels of powder, anyway the chronograph was not showing much change. When I mentioned this one time on DWB's several people indicated they were surprised I was getting any kind of accuracy with anything above 70 grains... From what I was reading into their replies or thoughts was they were surprised that I was not creating slippage across the riflings in the projectile - therefore down grading accuracy. I really didn't think I was, but those guys know awhole lot more about shooting lead than I do,so I have compromised I am shooting 80 grains.

If UC (underclock) picks up on this he and his knowledge bank can provide you a bunch of information.

One time when I asked Doc White about it - he told me I could shoot 120 grains and one of his 600 grain conicals from his White model 97, but the accuracy would be degraded - never did do that, but I think Cdad has shot 110 grains with those big lunkers.

Most of the guys on DWB say 70 grains is plenty for everything with those big conicals.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:54 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Sharp Shooter

When you start shooting heavy conicals do you have to back your charge down? With my 425gr Hornady Great Plains conical I am shooing 100gr FFG Goex. There are some conicals I want to try that are 500+gr. This Yogi conical is 515gr I want to try. They also have a 600gr but I do not know if I want to try that. Then there is the No Excuses 535gr conical. I have also thought about trying some Bull Shops. So my question is when I get over 500gr do I need to back my charge? I know I am going to build up loads when trying these out but what would be a max safe charge for some of these? Is 100gr-110gr FFg safe if my gun likes it?
In your Renegade, it is safe to shoot 110 grains and that big conical but I will warn you ahead of time, be prepared to be SMACKED! That thing will really kick. I had a friend shoot mine with a 425 grains Hornady and 100 grains of Pyrodex RS and the rifle smacked him so hard in the cheek and shoulder he refused to shoot it anymore after that.

I always shot them with 80 grains of Pyrodex RS and had excellent accuracy and excellent down range thump. You have to remember, these big conicals, while slow, carry a lot of down range energy. When you move up into the 500+ conicals, I would start the loads at 70 grains and work up until the accuracy fails or the recoil is too much.

Too much is worried about down range speed VSkilling power with big conicals. You need to stop thinking speed as much as down range energy. That big chunk of lead will do the rest.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:26 AM

i agree, i hated shooting the renegade i had due to the stock not offering enough drop and the stock being pressed tight against my cheek. You have a nice recoil pad on the butt?
Old 05-26-2007, 01:03 PM
Typical Buck

My load last season was a 410 gr great plains and 90 gr of 777. I started out testing that bullet with 70 gr of 777 and slowly worked my way up to 90 gr. Recoil was very tolerable and accuracy was great. I've got a buddy that shoots the 405 gr powerbelts with 110 gr. of 777. It's fairly stout but managable. Recoil tolerance is an individual thing. What's painful to one person is tolerable to another. Those big 500+ gr bullets will probably provide a good thumping on both ends though.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I cast a 525 grain bullet from an adjustable RCBS 50 caliber mold. The bullet is extremely accurate in my Knight rifle. For an elk load-I load 120 grains of 3F Blackpowder. This load is very accurate(IMO). It will also knock you off the bench. The safety knob brings the blood to the webbing in my thumb and forefinger. I have chronoed(spelling) it at 1600 fps. It is a devastating elk load. I do not recommend this load to anyone who is even remotely recoil sensitive, and it should be approached with great care. My normal load for this bullet is 80 grains of 3F. 80 grains of 3F is no picnic. Tom.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sure, you can push those heavy conicals hard and especially with a buffer (wad or such) and good lube. I just don't see why anyone wants to do that to themselves or their rifle.

RC and Cdad are both insane.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:37 PM

Whut?

Sabotloader, ya haven't been payin attention to the right people der bud. Accuracy don't suffer with heavy loads in the White. Here's a couple photos from RC. Forget the info, except the 4 in the nice little group were from the White. The other 3 were with some other piece of junk. Pretty sure he was shooting a big chunk of lead with a bunch of powder and PEEP SIGHTS. It was sum long range shooting too I think. Hopefully RC can fill in all the info. I think heis entering a drunken stupper right now as he lost a favorite dog today. Take care RC!

Old 05-26-2007, 05:45 PM
Dominant Buck

If I remember, he was shooting 110 grains of powder & a 400 or 460 grain conical. Also,that three shot group was at 200 yards with a peep sight out of his White Ultra Mag.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

You need to stop thinking speed as much as down range energy.
I know it is just me but I do disagree a bit... If every animal I shot at what ever range it may be stopped and posed for me I could somewhat agree with you. But, I am much more comfortable with velocity and time to target than I am big energy. Most animals we get to shoot at are moving and at various ranges.... the slower that bullet travels the more adjustment the shooter must make for x-winds, up & down movement of the rainbow bullet, and travel time... at longer ranges one step by the animal could make a huge difference, just the animal turning or bounceing in the case of Mule deer could make a huge difference. Give me velocity with enough energy and I will be more efficient... "speed kills"

Quick Reply: Shooting Heavy Conicals

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.