Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Shooting Conicals in a Ball-Shooter >

Shooting Conicals in a Ball-Shooter

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting Conicals in a Ball-Shooter

Old 10-13-2004, 04:41 AM

Default Shooting Conicals in a Ball-Shooter

Has anyone ever shot Maxi-balls or Minis in a muzzleloader designed for patched round balls? My new muzzleloader has a 1 in 60 rifling. I would like to see how conicals shoot in this rifle. Wondering if anyone has ever gotten an acceptable grouping at 100 yards.

Thanks.

Kenneth Smith
Old 10-13-2004, 05:16 AM

Default RE: Shooting Conicals in a Ball-Shooter

a friend of mine did that and he got good groups at 50yards... at 100yds they where about 5" groups. He droped his powder down, don't remember to what grain. the best I can say is try it at a range and test different loads. Good Luck

P.S. I have a old T/C with a 1 & 28 twist, and I use patch & ball w/ 90 grs black Powder.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:52 AM

Never heard people use them in roundbal twist guns before. I have heard of people using the Buffalo Ball-etts before with good results.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:35 AM

The rifle I just purchased, the Lyman Great Plains Rifle, in .54 caliber and flintlock, also has the 1 in 32 in. rifling available in a replacement barrel. If I can get an acceptable grouping at 100 yards, as long as it is consistent, then I may attempt to shoot maxis with this rifle.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Caion

Warren sells a minie that should work well in your GPR. It's 325 grains.
Believe it or not, another good one could be the 295 gr. Powerbelt. Here's the link on the minie. #20533

Click Here For Warren Minie

Wolfhound (Patrick)

I read somewhere else where you're interested in trying Hunterman Boolets. I have 10 leftover you can have in 250 gr. Spire-points. Also.. I'll need your GPR caliber if/when you reply. I may have a goodie bag for that one too. I need your home address so PM me or email me.
[email protected]
Old 10-13-2004, 02:22 PM

It's a 54 cal. PM sent.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

Caion

Warren sells a minie that should work well in your GPR. It's 325 grains.
Believe it or not, another good one could be the 295 gr. Powerbelt. Here's the link on the minie. #20533

Click Here For Warren Minie

Wolfhound (Patrick)
I really appreciate that link. I will email you my home address. Let me know your shipping costs and I will send you a money order.

Kenneth
Old 10-20-2004, 08:41 AM

I noticed in Lyman's catalog that they have a Maxi ball designed for their Great Plains Rifle. They do not specify that it is for the 1 in 32 in. barrel only, so I will get the molds and cast a few and try the bullet in my 1 in 60 in. rifling barrel.

Kenneth
Old 10-20-2004, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

As I was finishing an evening of punching some paper recently, just for a lark, I tried some 300 grn REAL conicals in my .54 GPR. I used an over the powder wad and 90 grns Swiss FFg. I fired 4 rounds, from 50 yds, using cross sticks and cloverleafed 3 shots, with the 4th about 1.5" low and left. I was shooting into a stiff headwind which was causing some difficulties in stabilizing the rifle on the sticks, so I was shocked it shot so well. Maybe I just got lucky but I haven't had a chance to try them again, which I will do just because I am curious. My GPR shoots balls so well, and since the .54 ball will handle anything I am going to hunt, that I have no desire to use a conical for anything beyond occasional target shooting.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:51 AM

My GPR is a flinter and I am having trouble finding 4F in my area, so I don't know how well it shoots! What kind of groups are you getting with yours at 50 yds? 100 yds?

Kenneth

Quick Reply: Shooting Conicals in a Ball-Shooter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.