Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 omega with see through rings? >

omega with see through rings?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

omega with see through rings?

Old 12-31-2006, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default omega with see through rings?

im debating on going with one. anybody have theres set up that way and like it? i will be getting the synthetic thumbhole stock for mine. sometimes the way the stock is cut on a rifle makes it hard to use see throughs without a cheek pad and i didnt want to add a pad.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: omega with see through rings?

Now this is just my opinion and take it for what you like, but I will never put a see through ring on another rifle. There just is no need for it. I want my scope mounted as close to the barrel as possible where the rings have little or no opportunity to shift. Also with the scope that much higher off the barrel you tend to stretch your neck to get to the scope.

I would rather have a scope a low mounted as possible. I then if I believe will have close shots, pick your scope with a 2-7x32mm or 3-9x40 optics. Set the scope on the low magnification if you think there is a chance you will get a jump shot. Also practice with them low settings and you might be surprised how fast on target you can get...

Again, just my opinion.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:10 PM
Typical Buck

I had see through mounts on a Remington .308 and never could get the iron sights to line up when I need them quickly. I also did not like the height of the scope so I will never use them again. I just use a low power (1.5-5)scope and find it as quick to center as iron sights if the mounts and comb are set up right, especially if left on 1.5.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with Cayugad, those see through rings make it moredifficult to shoot accurately with iron sights and take away the advantages of speed and visability that you normally have with irons and your head is floating so you can not shoot as accurately with the scope.
A really good pair of quick disconnect scope mounts [ don't trust the cheap ones] gives a better answer for shooting either and has the added advantage of getting it out of the way when cleaning. Lee
Old 12-31-2006, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

I have an omega with weaver see thu sights. I have it scoped with a 3x9x40m swift. I changed the rear sight to a peep. I hunt in open area's and heavy pine new growth. Cayuga is correct about getting proper head position but with some close shots in pine shooting lanes the scope just doesn't do it. I use a 1x scope in the muzzleloader season on another gun no problem but not as accurate on long range over 100 yd shots
Old 12-31-2006, 03:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Johnmorris

John is the Swift you have a Premeir? What are your thoughts about it's performance for you?

I have a 2x7x40 Swift Preemy which I really like, it is really clear and really easy to get on to...
Old 12-31-2006, 04:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

sabotloader, I now have two Swift scopes while the rifle scope is as good as any other scope I ever had on a rifle the pistol scope is much better than any other pistol scope I ever used and I have had and set up a bunch of them. Lee
Old 12-31-2006, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

i can understand about keeping the scope low but its all how the gun stock and action fit together. for instance the prefered rifle of maine woodds and parts of pennsy is the good old 760-7600. you can put see throughs on it and still use the irons with little stretch. in other word you can get away using both.this is great for tracking and hunting heavy brush when deer like to just pop out quick on you. my brothers cva optima is a real neck stretcher. his set up is medium see through rings with a 3x9x40 set up. my question was more about fit and being able to use either without requiring a cheek pad. i sold off my regular stock for the omega and i will get my thumbhole stock in a week so i was just trying to get an idea.