Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 ffg work for pan charge? >

ffg work for pan charge?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

ffg work for pan charge?

Old 12-24-2006, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default ffg work for pan charge?

well i bought a lyman flintlock trade rifle awhile back and i was wandering if ffg black powder will work for the pan charge.....i know fffg is better but right now i only have ffg and would like to do some shooting....thx
Old 12-24-2006, 12:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: ffg work for pan charge?

It will work. What you can do is take a piece of typing paper and fold a crease down the middle of the paper. Then take some of the FFg in your fingers (dry and clean hands) and grind your fingers together over the paper. It will reduce the size of the granules. Then when you have enough ground up, lift the paper up to make the crease your funnel and put that is a separate bottle. Use that as your primer. It will do just fine until you can get some 4f or 3f.

90 grains of Goex 2f and a patched roundball is the sweet load of my Flintlock Lyman Trade Rifle... good luck, keep your agate and flint sharp and you are in business.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Put some isopropyl alcohol on a patch and wipe the frizzen off, the pan out, and the flint edge off (be careful they can cut) from time to time. It will help with the speed of igniton. You want to make sure those parts are oil free and dry.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

k thx alot i remember u helped me pick this flintlock out a year ago and im just now getting a chance to shoot it so i will right back later on how its shooting
Old 12-24-2006, 12:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Your going to be real happy with that rifle. Just make sure to check your thimble rib screws. They were the only thing loose on my rifle that needed immediate attention. Other then that the rifle shot perfect.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I was about to buy a flinter I talked to some guys on another forum. They said depending on you flint you do not have to crush it at all and it will work. You can also fill a film canister or abottle forpillshalf way with FFG then add one of your roundballs. Put the lid on and shake it up. That should do but first try without crushing it.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't forget to put anti-seize on your flash hole. Always take it out and clean it. Also I use 7F in the pan. Tom.