Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 WHAT DO YOU CHARGE? >

WHAT DO YOU CHARGE?

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

WHAT DO YOU CHARGE?

Old 11-10-2005, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default WHAT DO YOU CHARGE?

What do you guys charge to mount a set of antlers? I'm not talking about a cheap antler mounting kit that you buy at a sporting goods store. I'm talking about covering the skull plate with foam or plaster and wrapping it with deer skin and putting it on a nice plaque.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:30 PM

Default RE: WHAT DO YOU CHARGE?

I just payed $75 to have the taxidermist antler mount my nine point. Hes going to tan the skin on the head, and mount it on a nice walnut plaque. Im pretty sure the taxidermy rates here in Texas are higher because there are so many deer to work on , oh well, its worth the money to get quality work done.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:33 PM

In my area youll see prices ranging from $50 to at least $125 which I charge, and Im sure a bit higher. Its just a couple hours of labor plus materials. Even 90 bucks of labor plus 20 in materials and a few more bucks for freight to get the materials, and you can see the price. Go where labor rates are less, and itll reflect likewise. In my area, Id say that if an enterprising person wanted to advertise doing no taxidermy, just antler mounts, skull mounts, deer legs and taking in tanning, he could make himself some nice money.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:40 PM

I charge $90 down here in Georgia.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:18 PM

I charge $90 in South Florida
Old 11-11-2005, 05:36 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the responses guys. Whatkind of woodplaques do you use when you charge $90? The reason I'm asking is I learned how to do this on my own and havea couple of them hanging on my office wall. The plaques that I used I bought at a deer show and areshapedlike arrow heads with a placefor the mount. I have done some for friends and charged little.Now I have people asking me to do theirs, and I'm not sure what to charge. One the the guys who's antlers I did has a buddy that will make me some plaques out of Maple, Oak, Pine, Cherry, pretty much any wood that he uses in his cabinet shop. Again thanks for your input.

Rick