Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Seasoning a barrel ?? >

Seasoning a barrel ??

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Seasoning a barrel ??

Old 12-25-2006, 02:36 PM

Default RE: Seasoning a barrel ??

Ain't a believer in the "bore seasoning" theory. i just clean the bores extremely well and shoot them. No one cleans a muzzleloader like i do. 1. Before i leave the range the bore gets swabbed with a patch saturated with white vinegar. 2. At home the bore gets brushed with white vinegar. 3. Thenthe bore is swabbed with a patch saturated in Hoppes. 4. The Hoppes is swabbed out of the bore. 5. The bore gets a patch wetted with MILITEC. "Works for me."

MILITEC is great stuff but it must be totally removed from the bore before loading the gun. The only way to do this is with alcohol. If MILITEC is not totally removed you will have the crud ring from hades.
Old 12-25-2006, 02:54 PM
Fork Horn

Ok, I am new to M/Ling and I use the borebutter, but I use the presaturated patches and I am not sure how you could get a build up with using them unless a build up is reffered to as something like a thousandths of an inch. All I can say about it is that it deffinately made my guns load easier after I started using it. My guns haven't sat around long enough to get rust yet because I shoot them every chance I get.
Old 12-25-2006, 02:57 PM

Why not coat the bore with a product like Sheath, that is made to prevent rust during storage, than with bore butter? I am also of the opinion that shooting is best intiated through a dry bore, so I clean the barrel with wet patches soaked in ISO alcohol - and then fire a cap before the alcohol evaporates to get every thing clean and dry before loading the first round.
Old 12-25-2006, 03:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

MO Archer

Those new T17 patches are the best thing in a long while... but again it is all in how you apply it - do not allow it to build up and I would encourage you to only use it on a hot barrel during your cleaning process. the hot barrel will draw it up into the pores. Make sure the barrel is dry before you work the patches... after that and after the barrel cools wipe out as much as you can get out with regualr dry patches and apply a really good gun oil. After a couple of thes applications you will be surprised what happens to your crud ring and the amount of fouling you incurr. I do the same thing to my trap chokes....just to help with wad fouling in the choke.

CAUTION - do not trap water in the barrel...
Old 12-25-2006, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

MO Archer

Those new T17 patches are the best thing in a long while... but again it is all in how you apply it - do not allow it to build up and I would encourage you to only use it on a hot barrel during your cleaning process. the hot barrel will draw it up into the pores. Make sure the barrel is dry before you work the patches... after that and after the barrel cools wipe out as much as you can get out with regualr dry patches and apply a really good gun oil. After a couple of thes applications you will be surprised what happens to your crud ring and the amount of fouling you incurr. I do the same thing to my trap chokes....just to help with wad fouling in the choke.

CAUTION - do not trap water in the barrel...
I have the T17 patches, but they are the blue ones that I use for swabing/cleaning. The ones I was talking about for the bore butter are just called "Cleaning & Seasoning Patches for Muzzleloaders""Presaturated with Bore Butter" These are yellow and smell like Wintergreen Skoal and made by T/C of course. The container reads as follows-

[align=center]Cleaning & Seasoning Patches for Muzzleloaders[/align][align=center]Presaturated with Bore Butter[/align][align=center]T/C Natural Lube 1000 plus Bore Butter and 100% cotton patches combined.[/align][align=center]2 1/2"[/align][align=center]Seasons Bore to Reduce Fouling[/align][align=center]Increases Accuracy[/align][align=center]Prevents Rust[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=left]Bass Pro Shops is the only place I have ever seen them[/align]
Old 12-25-2006, 04:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

MO Archer

Yup the blue ones - that is what I use now totally...

I can not/do not agree with the seasoning part but I do think you can condition the bore and I believe I have done that with my ML's.

The T17 is the same as the yellow just a different odor... and no Natural Lube 1000

But the best part is way they work in a hot barrel.... you put a patch in a clean dry hot barrel and the barrel sucks the stuff right out of the patch into the pores. The key for me is not to get to much in there, buy wiping outas much as you can out after it cools. Then lubricating with a very light coat of gun oil.

The natural lube 1000 in your other product will dry to a sheath and help protect to a certain extent the bore. But that sheath will/can become sticky and thick.

I suggest you keep ckecking your bore after a given amount of time if you are not also putting a bore oil in.

Old 12-25-2006, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

It may be my 'newbie'mentality or a syndrome but I cannot go a day without looking at or stroking my guns so I get them out and run a patch through the barrel, and just well, you know....

Who knows when this will run out but for now I am inlove with my guns and I am sure no rust will form. I guess the reason I enjoy MLing is that you get to experiement with the loads so much and spend so much time cleaning, that your hobby lasts 'longer'.
Old 12-25-2006, 05:43 PM

no thats not a newbie thing, i pull my out atleast twice a day and play with it.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

FG

Ain't it so...