Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 I live in Washington State, what is legal to hunt with? >

I live in Washington State, what is legal to hunt with?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I live in Washington State, what is legal to hunt with?

Old 12-24-2006, 11:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I live in Washington State, what is legal to hunt with?

Man, I just dont quite understand what is legal to hunt with as far as Muzzleloaders go? I live in Washington State and they state that it has to be an open primer and load through the muzzle. By reading it I would think that the only thing that is legal to hunt Muzzleloader season with is on like what my dad uses that is an old Kentucky style muzzleloader. Now I like those, and really wouldnt oppose to useing one, but it seems that I could fine a newer style with more potential for cheaper. I see whole kits going for $100 bucks all the time. Help me out guys, I just dont understand what is legal and what isnt here in my over regulated state that I live in.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: I live in Washington State, what is legal to hunt with?

Open breech and open primer means normally an exposed primer. So such rifles such as a Wolverine, Bighorn, anything with a striker/hammer action should qualify. The Thompson Center Black Diamond I own, CVA Staghorn, Wolverine, and White are all open breech and you can load a #11 primer exposed in them.

Also the traditional rifles would be legal. I really hate to say without reading the regulations.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:56 PM
Fork Horn

You an use only ml's that do not have a scope over 1 power or open sights 45cal or larger . check out the wi dnr web site . www.dnr.wi.gov
Charlie
Old 12-25-2006, 12:03 AM
Dominant Buck

Wisconsin's DNR site will not help him since he lives in Washington.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:18 AM

what do you plan on hunting up there? Deer? elk? both? If i were you, i'd honestly buy a .54cal lyman great plains rifle. Used patched roundballs and go hunting. You probably hunt thick cover in WA so i'd go open sights. Easily take 100-120 yard shots with that and drop game.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:34 AM
Dominant Buck

I think you're restricted to lead projectiles also. I great rifle for you actually would be a White rifle. Get a Model 97, 98 or Super 91-II. They are open breech with #11 cap, so you do not fall inot the 209 issue, and they will shoot a large lead conical very accurate. No deer or elk is going to stand a hit from one of them. My 97 came pre tapped for scope or Lyman 57 SMT peep sights for states that do not allow magnification. As for shooting, this rifle will do it all. No swabbing barrels, or pushing your guts out to get it loaded.. they are just a great rifle. There is even a web site that is full of White owners that can answer all your questions, help you get parts, projectiels, etc. and they are all nuts (except me of course).

Another good rifle would be a Thompson Center Black Diamond XR which also fits all the requirements of your state and will shoot a lot of projectiles very well.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

TUK101

Washington Rules...

[align=left]2. Muzzleloaders[/align][align=left](a) It is illegal to carry or possess any[/align][align=left]firearm during special muzzleloading[/align][align=left]seasons which does not meet the[/align][align=left]following specification for muzzleloader:[/align][align=left]Is loaded from the muzzle[/align][align=left]and uses black powder or a black[/align][align=left]powder substitute as recommended[/align][align=left]by the manufacturer for use in muzzleloading[/align][align=left]firearms. Has a single or[/align][align=left]double barrel of at least 20 inches,[/align][align=left]rifled or smoothbore. Ignition is to be[/align][align=left]wheellock, match-lock, flintlock, or[/align][align=left]percussion using original style percussion[/align][align=left]caps that fit on the nipple[/align][align=left]and are exposed to the elements.[/align][align=left]Shot shell and 209 primers are not[/align][align=left]legal. Sights must be open, peep, or[/align][align=left]of other open sight design.[/align][align=left]Telescopic sights or sights containing[/align][align=left]glass are prohibited. Except[/align][align=left]hunters with disabilities who meet[/align][align=left]the definition of being visually[/align][align=left]impaired in WAC 232-12-828 may[/align][align=left]receive a special use permit that[/align][align=left]would allow the use of scopes or[/align][align=left]other visual aids. Contact the[/align][align=left]Department’s ADA coordinator for[/align][align=left]further information. Fiber optic sights[/align][align=left]are legal. It is unlawful to have any[/align][align=left]electrical device or equipment[/align][align=left]attached to a muzzleloading firearm[/align][align=left]while hunting.[/align][align=left](b) A muzzleloading firearm used for[/align][align=left]deer must fire a single, non-jacketed[/align][align=left]lead projectile of nominal 40 caliber or[/align][align=left]larger except that buckshot size #1 or[/align][align=left]larger, may be used in a smoothbore[/align][align=left]of 60 caliber or larger.[/align][align=left](c) A muzzleloading firearm used for[/align][align=left]all other big game must fire a single,[/align][align=left]non-jacketed lead projectile of[/align][align=left]nominal 50 caliber or larger, or fire a[/align][align=left]single, non-jacketed lead projectile of[/align][align=left]at least 170 grains.[/align][align=left](d) Muzzleloader hunters can carry a[/align][align=left]handgun designed to be charged with[/align][align=left]black powder only. It is NOT legal for[/align][align=left]hunting or dispatching big game.[/align][align=left](e) Muzzleloader hunters may lawfully[/align][align=left]hunt game birds with a muzzleloader[/align][align=left]shotgun.[/align][align=left](f) Only one barrel of a double barrel[/align][align=left]muzzleloader may be loaded with[/align][align=left]powder or bullet or capped at any one[/align][align=left]time while hunting in a muzzleloading[/align][align=left]season. Muzzle-loaders hunting in a[/align][align=left]firearm restriction area, outside of a[/align][align=left]muzzleloader season, may have both[/align][align=left]barrels charged.[/align][align=left](g) In-line Muzzleloader: In-line[/align][align=left]muzzleloaders are legal only if[/align][align=left]ignition uses original style percussion[/align][align=left]caps that fit on the nipple.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Here you go...[/align]
Old 12-25-2006, 11:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Wow! Traditional only?
Old 12-25-2006, 11:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Rebel Hog

Naw! he can use inlines also - they just can only use caps - no primers....

Rule G
Old 12-25-2006, 11:30 AM
Dominant Buck

DUH! How did I miss this one?

[align=left](g) In-line Muzzleloader: In-line[/align][align=left]muzzleloaders are legal only if[/align][align=left]ignition uses original style percussion[/align][align=left]caps that fit on the nipple.[/align]

Quick Reply: I live in Washington State, what is legal to hunt with?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.