Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Need new load advice >

Need new load advice

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need new load advice

Old 12-21-2006, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need new load advice

Hey guys, I have a 50cal Encore. Im currently shooting Hornady 250grn SSt's with the sabots that came in the pack. I use 100grns(80grnson my scale) of777 and regular 209 primers. The gun shoots this load fine but Ive been doing a lot more shooting with it lately and am tired of the cost.

I want to switch to a different load. I currently reload formy 44mag rifle so I have some 240grn XTP's and 270grn Gold dots, I also have an old box of 240grn XTPS for MLs from Hornady with the green sabots that come with them. I will be happy trying any bullet I can use in both guns. About 50% of the time I hunt a field thats about 300yards long which I understand is a lot for a ML but wanted to add that I wont always have just a 100ish yard shot in the woods.

I like the performance from both bullets from the rifle and if you suggest I just stick with them, then which sabot do I want so I dont need a hammer to get bullet down the barrel. The SST's are extremely hard to load.

The last part of the question is should I go with 777 primers or buck up to the 25acp convo kit.

Lastly my gun doesnt like Powerbelts Ive tried them with Pyrodex and the 777 so they arent an option.

The more I read here the more I realize some of you forgot more about ML's then I know, so Im up for any idea's. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Need new load advice

ORIGINAL: Duckbutter48

Hey guys, I have a 50cal Encore. Im currently shooting Hornady 250grn SSt's with the sabots that came in the pack. I use 100grns(80grnson my scale) of777 and regular 209 primers. The gun shoots this load fine but Ive been doing a lot more shooting with it lately and am tired of the cost.

I want to switch to a different load. I currently reload formy 44mag rifle so I have some 240grn XTP's and 270grn Gold dots, I also have an old box of 240grn XTPS for MLs from Hornady with the green sabots that come with them. I will be happy trying any bullet I can use in both guns. About 50% of the time I hunt a field thats about 300yards long which I understand is a lot for a ML but wanted to add that I wont always have just a 100ish yard shot in the woods.

I like the performance from both bullets from the rifle and if you suggest I just stick with them, then which sabot do I want so I dont need a hammer to get bullet down the barrel. The SST's are extremely hard to load.

The last part of the question is should I go with 777 primers or buck up to the 25acp convo kit.

Lastly my gun doesnt like Powerbelts Ive tried them with Pyrodex and the 777 so they arent an option.

The more I read here the more I realize some of you forgot more about ML's then I know, so Im up for any idea's. Thanks in advance.
It's hard to tell you what sabot to use. The XTP's come in both .430 & .452 diameter so it might need the black or green sabots. Also depending on the bore of that Encore you might want to get some of the thinner sabots.

Whether they will shoot well out of your rifle only time will tell. I would see no reason why those projectiels you mentioned would not work in your rifle.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the bullets are .429 and .430 which sabot do I need to make it load easier?
Old 12-21-2006, 06:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Duckbutter48

I have a 50cal Encore. Im currently shooting Hornady 250grn SSt's with the sabots that came in the pack.
I guess I am surpised that you can get those SST's down the barrel with the supplied sabot - usually you need to change to HPH-24's or regular Harvesters...

I want to switch to a different load. I currently reload formy 44mag rifle so I have some 240grn XTP's and 270grn Gold dots, I also have an old box of 240grn XTPS for MLs from Hornady with the green sabots that come with them.
It is possible that those old green sabots were/are the really old ones - you might get some plastic fouling with them and they are not high pressure so you have to keep your powder down a bit or you will end up with flyers... That 270 Gold Dot ought to be one one heck of a ML deer bullet. If you can find a package of TC Mag Express 44/50 green sabots and they are the newer ones those would be a very good sabot or order some from MMP. I shot some a couple of days ago and they loaded really easy in the WHite so in my mind I was thinking they will work well in the Omega. If they are to tight then the "crush ribs" should wotk really well.

About 50% of the time I hunt a field thats about 300yards long which I understand is a lot for a ML but wanted to add that I wont always have just a 100ish yard shot in the woods.
300 hundred yards is a big stretch for a ML - might be able to do that with 44/300 grnSST's/Shockwaves if they even make such a thing...

One thing you probably already know - most of the 44's have a way better BC than the corresponding 45.

The MMP HPH-24 Black 45cal/50cal sabot should go down your barrel really easy.... Its counterpart (so to speak is the regular Harvester). MMP also make a three petal EZ load sabot for 45/50 cals that is even thinner than than the 24. Harvester makes their really thin version and calls them "crush rib" they make these in both 44 cal and 45 cal for 50 cal gun.

To be perfectly honest with you i wish I had made the switch to the 25 ACP a long time ago... It is so clean as compared... the handling thing isn't all that important because you can use a capper with the 209's - but the 25 ACP in an Omega/Encore is the way to go...

Not to start a feud - but GREAT - there are such better bullets out there than those overpriced elongated round lead balls. I must admit for a lot of people they are life savers - but once you find the right sabot - there is no need for PB's

If you get those 44/270's working for and they should from the Encore with the correct sabot - they will be an outstanding bullet...

Let me know - I could get the Omega out and remove the breech plug- then run a new green HPH sabot/bullet down - if they go down my Omega thay will probablygo down the Encore..

Good luck - keep asking question..

Old 12-21-2006, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

The MMP HPH-24 Black 45cal/50cal sabot should go down your barrel really easy.... Its counterpart (so to speak is the regular Harvester). MMP also make a three petal EZ load sabot for 45/50 cals that is even thinner than than the 24. Harvester makes their really thin version and calls them "crush rib" they make these in both 44 cal and 45 cal for 50 cal gun.
Is the MMP HPH-24 made by Havester or are they a seperate company. I dont know if that is an abreviation oris that a completely different sabot manufacturer

If I go with the Crushed Rib from Harvester, do I just need to get the 44cal sabots or are there more then one type of Crushed Rib for the 44cal?

It is a complete SOB to get the SST's down the barrel, I usually carry a small block of wood with me for leverage on the rod. I just always figured they were supposed to be that tight. They've always shot great for me so I guess I thought no pain no gain when I loaded them. THe combo of how expensive they are and how hard they are to load kept me from shooting the ML barrel that often. Im planning on changing that this year.

How much am I looking at going with the 25acp convo and do yal know where I should order it.

Thanks again this was the exact help I needed. I have been shooting ML's for a while but to be honest Ive always just bought the prepackaged stuff sighted them in with an average amount of loose powder, got pretty good groups and went hunting. I've never really got into all the new cool stuff out. I also recently acquired my hunting property and nowhave some longer shot possibilities.

I do understand Im not going to get a 300yard load but need a little more distance then just normal woods hunting. The BC on the 270grn Gold Dots is pretty good compared to some of the others so theywill be the ones to try 1st. Around here Gander Mountain sells them for about 12 bucks for a box of 50, so the price also right.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Duckbutter48

Is the MMP HPH-24 made by Havester or are they a seperate company. I dont know if that is an abreviation oris that a completely different sabot manufacturer
Two different companies
www.mmpsabots.com
http://www.harvesterbullets.com/

If I go with the Crushed Rib from Harvester, do I just need to get the 44cal sabots or are there more then one type of Crushed Rib for the 44cal?
If you go with the Harvester 'Crush Rib' .429/.430 by 50 sabot there is only one for the 44 and one for the 45

It is a complete SOB to get the SST's down the barrel,
Call Connie @ MMP and order a pack of .451 by 50 HPH-24 and one Pack of HPH-3p-ez = these two products will answer your SST problems... If you order or purchase TC shockwaves next time they will come with HPH-24's + you might order a pack HPH 44/50 Green sabots...

How much am I looking at going with the 25acp convo and do yal know where I should order it.
I ordered the breech plug and 100 25ACP shells - seems like it was $70 and you being a reloader will be ablt to prime and reprime the cases

These are made by PR bullets in Canada..

http://www.prbullet.com/swap.htm

Around here Gander Mountain sells them for about 12 bucks for a box of 50, so the price also right.
They are going up as all bullets are.... they are $14 arond here...

You might have to really look at the Shockwave to get the ballistics you need for those long shots...

I am quite confident with my Noslers and Gold Dots to 150/175 yards... 200 would really extend them anything above that I think i would have to look @ the shockwave... do not bypass the 200 grain 10mm shockwave for a thought either...