Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Safety Question

Old 12-14-2006, 03:11 PM

Default Safety Question

Okay, so here's a question that will show you I'm a total beginner. When I get my traditional percussion style ML next month, is there any way to put a safety on it. What I mean is, is there any way to load the powder and patched roundball and then make sure it won't go off. I would assume that if I don't pull the hammer back and then the trigger, I should be okay. BUT, what do I know at this point until I get it and start shooting.

I'm mainly concerned because much of my hunting is from treestands and I'm thinking it would be easier to load on the ground and then hoist the rifle up. I want to be extremely careful doing this.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Safety Question

chucker34

The safety... the only safety you will likely find is a "Half Cock" on the hammer... it is really pretty reliable...

For hoisting into the tree or carrying down out of the tree remove the cap and set the hammer down on the nipple...

Most safety folks will tell do not cap until you are ready to shoot - come to think of it I bet the whitetail would agree with that one also....

Old 12-14-2006, 03:21 PM

The safest safety out there is simply by not capping it. Esprcially when u are climbing into a tree stand. Keep it uncapped untill you get settled in and ready, then cap it once u are. Leave it on half cock while its capped. Thats the only safety. And another thing, dont forget to pull the hammer all the way back when you are ready to fire .
Old 12-14-2006, 03:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I always take the cap or primer off or out of any muzzleloader before hoisting it up! Lee
Old 12-14-2006, 04:04 PM
Dominant Buck

When you are climbing or hauling the rifle up a tree of course take the #11 primer off. Be safe from that standpoint. When your walking or in your tree stand and want a degree of safety, take a tire valve stem cover (sorry this is such a cheap way to do things and easy to find at any tire dealership) and cover your percussion cap.

Cap the rifle, pull the hammer back and put a tire valve stem cover right over the percussion cap. Now lower the hammer back down on the cap. You have now blocked any manner for the hammer to strike the cap, and water proofed/resisted the #11 primer. The hammer spring tension will hold the hammer right on the nose of that cap.

When you get ready to shoot you can do two things, cock the rifle as normal, tip the rifle slightly to the side and normally the cap will fall off the primer, or manually remove the tire valve stem cover with your fingers and then fire the rifle. It you have a leather needle, you can put a small hole through the valve stem cover, run some fish line through that, and tie that to your trigger guard. That way you do not loose the tire stem cover and can simply drop it and concentrate on the target.

My Renegade rifle if you cock the rifle back, put the tire valve stem cover over the cap, lower the hammer to half cock, it will just barely hold the cap nose with the hammer. It can not fall off. You have a double safety on your rifle being on half cock and the cap covered, and should be weather resistant to boot...
Old 12-14-2006, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dang . . . those are some great ideas, Dave.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:57 PM
Typical Buck

Cayugad: I really like the tire stem cap idea. Never would have thought of that although I did use a plastic tube cap once in a similar way. I just didn't think about the size and availability of the tire stem caps. Great Idea!! Now I have two questions for you. Number one: did you get my email asking you to email me at [email protected]? I have a proposal of sorts for you. Second question is also another great idea that I can not take credit for. Have you tried using teflon tape on the first bullet loaded in a White with a clean barrel instead of fouling the bore? My friend in Illinois claims that the POI is the same as the second shot after fouling and the bullet won't slide around in the clean barrel. I don't have my Thunderbolt yet so I have not tried it but the idea sounds good to me.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:32 PM
Dominant Buck

MLKeith - I never knew you wanted me to contact you.. I will do so. Yes I have teflon taped the first shot in my White. While it helped with the POI it was still off a little bit. It does tighten up the fit of the bullet. Since I shoot the BullShop .504 diameter, the conicals do not really slide around on me too much.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:20 PM

Thanks for the info guys! And great idea cayugad. My father-in-law runs a farm implement outfit so I can get all the stem covers I need.

This is a great forum. I was shooting some clay pigeons my 870 this past weekend when I started thinking about the safety issue on the ML. I knew I need not be afraid to ask such a beginner but important question like this. Thanks again!