Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Newbie with a Sidekick and a few ?? >

Newbie with a Sidekick and a few ??

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Newbie with a Sidekick and a few ??

Old 12-12-2006, 08:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Newbie with a Sidekick and a few ??

OK guys here is the fix for the wimpy factory rod. Go to Hubbard Outdoors and buy his replacement rod. It is just like the stock rod with the following exceptions. It is made out of solidNaval brass and has the correct threads not the ones that come with the stock rod that fit nothing. It collapses just like the original but when extended is two inches longer than the stock rod. It has a knurled aluminum end to hold on to when final seating the bullet (it is good to start the bullet without extending the rod when it is really strong and then extend it to finish seating it). It has a jag on the end that is relieved to allow seating of the new pointed bullets. The quality has to be seen to be apreciated. It costs $35 and is worth every penny (especially if you do not want to carry a range rod when you are hunting or trust that the factory rod will not break). I have one and love it (plus it is pretty). www.hubbardsoutdoorsproducts.com or phone (205) 665-0444.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, I'll be gettin one of those .
Old 12-12-2006, 10:50 AM
Typical Buck

By the way; if you are going to scope the rifle buy the scope base from H&R not from other sources. Some of the ones that claim to fit do but the cuts in the base are not far enough to the rear to allow correct scope mounting. I know as I am just removing the first one and installing the one I ordered from H&R. Maybe save you the cost of buying two like I did.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Keith,

Right now I do not plan on scoping it but I intend to get the scope base at the manufactures website. I want to install a ghost ring on it (modified T/C click rear sight) to use in conjuction with a globe front sight with crosshair reticle. The sidekick, for now, is my Colorado ML season rifle for shooting full bore conicals with open sights. I am hoping to click in more range withthe T/C click rear sight, as if I don't have enough projects going.

Phil
Old 12-12-2006, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man I'm so gladI started this thread. I have a cabelas Base on backorder that I can now cancel and order the correct base from H&R which includes the hammer spur.
Thanks for the save, I've fought improper bases before (factory savage bases no doubt) and it's something I'd just assume skip.

I'm going bu Gander mountain again on Friday and will be looking for the buffolo ballets in 270. Who knows, I just may end up hunting with them- it would benice to at least have the option.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:39 PM
Dominant Buck

remember... push a ball-et like you would a roundball. 80 grains is plenty of juice and the down range energy is actually impressive.

Old 12-12-2006, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

remember... push a ball-et like you would a roundball. 80 grains is plenty of juice and the down range energy is actually impressive.
It sure is. The .50 ballets do something which I think is worth remarking on. The245 ballet pushed by 80 grains, in terms of energy, is remarkably similar to a .54 cal RB pushed by 100 grains between the ranges of 30 and 70 yards. The 270 ballet pushed by 80 grains, in terms of energy, is remarkably similar to a .58 RB pushed by 100 grains between 30 and 70 yards. Less than 30 yards, the RB's are hands down superior in energy but loseground until they are pretty close to the same.

I've come to think that the 270 ballet is sufficient for elk just cause I think the .58 RB is also sufficient. In fact,it was what I would have loaded for a second shot had I shot an elk thisyear.They load very easily over BP fouling. Next year I'll probably be shooting Bull shops though.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I swapped out the order for the bases.

I called Gander mountain and the clerk (after placing me on hold for ~5 minutes) said they didn't carry the Ballets. So I'm hoping they at least carry the hornady version. I wasn't going to ask another question since the response took so long.

I might have to order them, I'll know come Friday.
There are two bass-pro shops along the way to my lease if I could convince my hunting partner to make a stop. BUT time is always a concern when your driving 7 hours away to hunt.

BB's & loose powder for an 80 grain charge- got it.
Is that 80 grains of 777 or 80 grains of anything?
Old 12-13-2006, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DaveC

Well I swapped out the order for the bases.

I called Gander mountain and the clerk (after placing me on hold for ~5 minutes) said they didn't carry the Ballets. So I'm hoping they at least carry the hornady version. I wasn't going to ask another question since the response took so long.

I might have to order them, I'll know come Friday.
There are two bass-pro shops along the way to my lease if I could convince my hunting partner to make a stop. BUT time is always a concern when your driving 7 hours away to hunt.

BB's & loose powder for an 80 grain charge- got it.
Is that 80 grains of 777 or 80 grains of anything?
The ballistics I provided were for 80 grains pyro P. 80 grains 777 2F should give just a little extra velocity. You don't need any more than that. 3f GOEX BP will bein the neighborhood50 fps less than the Pyro P (from finding in my notes, a 50 fps difference for80 grains when using CVA 300 BS) 50 fps won't dramatically affect the flight of the bullet. So 80 grains of any of the above powder should work. I like BP the best in my Sidekick (but I haven't tried 777).BTW thesidekick HATES APP powder, so would notrecommend you attempt to use it this season unless you have plenty of time torange test itto a precision andaccuracy you can live with.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pglasgow & others,
I really appreciate the help so far.
Before I head off to Gander mountain I was wondering if they only have the 385gr hornady what amount of powder should I load with it?

And if they had neither but had a box of the T/C maxi-ball or maxi hunter, would they do the same thing as far as smoothing the rough edges from the bore? ( they look somewhat similar)

Quick Reply: Newbie with a Sidekick and a few ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.