Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Newbie with a Sidekick and a few ?? >

Newbie with a Sidekick and a few ??

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Newbie with a Sidekick and a few ??

Old 12-11-2006, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Newbie with a Sidekick and a few ??

Well after many years of wanting a ML I decided on the stainless NEF Sidekick after reading about it here and the reviews at the big box stores websites.

I made a trip to Gander Mountain and picked up what I thought I needed. I’m now reading I might have made a few bad choices. Returning the items is not out of the question, but not very feasible either (45 minute drive one way).
So here is what I got for starters.
295 gr powerbelt HP’s.
777 pellets
Rem clean bore primers
Bore butter
Cleaning stuff

My ?? are:

1. Do I need to use bore butter with the power belts?
2. Where do I get a decent ramrod, will this one do for the short term?
3. How many shots can I expect from a primer carrier?
4. Should I return the Rem 209’s for the 777’s?

Thanks for your time, DaveC

BTW, I purchased my father a Traditions .50 4 fathers days ago and have hunted with it so I'm not all the way in the dark.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Newbie with a Sidekick and a few ??

ORIGINAL: DaveC

Well after many years of wanting a ML I decided on the stainless NEF Sidekick after reading about it here and the reviews at the big box stores websites.

I made a trip to Gander Mountain and picked up what I thought I needed. I’m now reading I might have made a few bad choices. Returning the items is not out of the question, but not very feasible either (45 minute drive one way).
So here is what I got for starters.
295 gr powerbelt HP’s.
777 pellets
Rem clean bore primers
Bore butter
Cleaning stuff

My ?? are:

1. Do not use bore butter with powerbelts

2. My Walmart has some aluminum rods on clearance for $3.50. Will make an OK range rod, but you won't be able to pull with it without pinning the ends.

3. anywhere from 10 to40 depending on the charge and bullet you use

4. The kleanbores i think would be just fine. I've been using Pyro RS, Pyro P, and 3f Goex BP with my sidekick and I can't tell any difference between primers.

I would do this though, get a box of buffalo ballets and shoot them off for grins and giggles first. 60 grains powder is plenty for this step(i wouldn't waste the 777 pellets popping ballets) This will do alot to smooth your new bore. I found powerbelts difficult to load before I shot the ballets. I broke my ramrod loading one on a perfectly clean barrel. So be sure to get a range rod.

Oh I almost forgot. Congratulations on your new muzzleloader. I've had my SS Sidekick for a little less than a year. Its a real shooter and its been great fun both hunting and at the range. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:25 PM
Dominant Buck

While the powerbelts do not require any lube, it does not hurt to pull the plastic base of the bottom of the powerbelt. You will see a small spike on the bottom of the conical. Take a small dab of the bore butter and put that on the spike. Then put the plastic button back on. The bore butter will help the conical leave the plastic faster and might increase the accuracy.

Cains makes a Super Rod that I would highly recommend. They are strong, and will not break. Also they are reasonable in price. http://www.cainsoutdoor.com/cart/asp/catalog_index.asp

No idea, but I would suspect quite a few by the price of them things...

I like the Remington Kleenbore Primers. I think they are a real good primer.

Old 12-11-2006, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks you for the help so far.

I like the looks of the super rod.

I realizebuffalo ballets are bullets, but are they a name brand or just round balls?
I did a search on google, bass-pro & cableasbut didn't come up with much.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks you for the help so far.

I like the looks of the super rod.

I realizebuffalo ballets are bullets, but are they a name brand or just round balls?
I did a search on google, bass-pro & cableasbut didn't come up with much.
Buffalo is the brand and it is a small 245 grain conical with a ball-like ogive. PA conicals are an alternative made by Hornady. Both are inexpensive and both would work for the purpose. I have to order mine by mail. I have found the best place to order most bullets is archeryexperts.com (tom richmond or something like that). They have good prices but more important, they don't slap you with high shipping and handling. So even while the price per boxmay be higher than cheaperthandirt.com or some other discounters, the final priceon many orders ischeaper. You'll have to test to know for sure though. Good luck with your sidekick!

http://archery-experts.stores.yahoo.net/bubububa.html

http://cheaperthandirt.com/24555-17335-481.html
Old 12-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks again for the help, those ballets sure look intersting- looks good enough to hunt whitetails with too.

I'll be getting some soon, thx!
Old 12-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Dominant Buck

for inline rifles I like the 270 grain ball-et a lot better. Out of my Knight, they are deadly...
Old 12-11-2006, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Back to the ramrod-
Since the NEF comes with a telescoping ram rod that has to be extended before it reaches a usable length, am I going to be able to replace the ramrod with something better and not have it stick out past my barrel?

Sounds funny I know, butI have to ask.

What I'm thinking off hand is I am to use the new Mo-betta range rod while target practicing and leave the stock one on the gun for hunting purposes only.

Thoughts?
Old 12-12-2006, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

for inline rifles I like the 270 grain ball-et a lot better. Out of my Knight, they are deadly...
I agree. I like the 270 alot better. Some places have them some don't and Hornady doesn't make a 270 alternative so I didn't mention them. But for the price, the 270 ballet is my favoriteconicaland a good hunting projectile. I didn't thinkit wouldmatter for DaveC unless he hunted with them. But no doubt, the 270 is superior (thoughprobably not much if anybetter for smoothing the bore)and they shoot well in my 1:48 twist Hawkenalso.

Where they both are supplied by the same retailer, there is usuallyno difference in price, so I recommend getting the 270's if you can get them as cheap as the 245's. If not, 245's will workfor barrel smoothing. If you think you might hunt with them, GET THE 270's,just like cayugad suggested, even if they cost a little more. 80grains Pyro Ppropels them to about 1650 fps. Below are the ballistics for that load.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Back to the ramrod-
Since the NEF comes with a telescoping ram rod that has to be extended before it reaches a usable length, am I going to be able to replace the ramrod with something better and not have it stick out past my barrel?
Now you've just asked a question that I would also like to know the answer too.

When I hunted. I carried by range rod with me. The rod is probably my biggest objection to the sidekick, but , , , they're shooters.

Quick Reply: Newbie with a Sidekick and a few ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.