Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Tough Trigger on the ProHunter >

Tough Trigger on the ProHunter

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Tough Trigger on the ProHunter

Old 12-08-2006, 07:29 AM

Default Tough Trigger on the ProHunter

I finally shot my ProHunter last night.... at a deer. She caught me climbing up the tree at about 6-7 feet. 40 yards out. I stopped faced the tree, pulled my gun up, untied it, loaded it, turned around, squeezed the trigger, thought damn I didn't cock, looked down the hammer was cocked ..?.. tried again.....BOOOOM,
She never flinched, gave her a minute to drop... nothing, turned back around, loaded, turned around, found her browsing at ~50 yds, PULLED the trigger, she flinched, thought I hit her until I saw a tree limb in front of waving around, she continued walking, I loaded and through my last bullet at her...... nothing. All the time I'm thinking this thing must be shooting high, cuz I'm not seeing any snow fly up from the ground, so I'm shooting lower each time, and still being fooled by the hard trigger pull.

Now you guys are prob saying what a lousy shot..... I'v shot a lot of deer at greater distances, always open sights. Two weeks ago I droped a doe at ~80 paces with an old British 303. Pic attached.

I climbed out of the tree to resupply. Found a pizza box, set it up, walked out 50 yards, drilled it 1" low and right of center. 100gr FFF, 250 shockwave. I think the trigger pull is messing with me.

Anyway to lighten the pull on these things?

Thanks

ps You'll notice just inside the deers left eye the entry, the exit was out through the base of the skull, (occipital area)

Old 12-08-2006, 08:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Tough Trigger on the ProHunter

Yes they can be lightened. You can either buy a lighter trigger spring and put it in yourself or take/send your frame to a gunsmith and have him do it. Cost for a gunsmith to do it ranges from $40-60 I think. The trigger springs cost less than $10 I think. You can buy them on eBay or through Mike Bellms website. Here's a link to the instructions to do it yourself: http://www.bellmtcs.com/Prod_and_Serv/free_cd.htm

I haven't replaced my spring yet but I have had the action apart. It wasn't too hard to get back together.

Mike
Old 12-08-2006, 08:47 AM

Mike Bellms website
I second that suggestion. I grew tired of my 4.5 lb Encore trigger pull after a couple of years. I downloaded the simple to follow instructional video and bought a replacement spring. Yeah, the springs aren't cheap, but mucho cheaper than having a professional job done.

If anything, the video is free and very helpful in guiding a person how to break the Encore down (much further than the TC manual) for cleaning purposes.

I now have the trigger just over 2 lbs....perfect balance between light pull for summer varmint hunting and medium pull for winter whitetails.

Try surfing this website...you won't be dissappointed.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:11 AM

For the price you paid for that rifle u dont need to spend any more money, Call TC and tell them the trouble and tell them that you did not pay the price you did to go off and spend more money on something they should have done at the factory. Tell them you want them to send you a pre paid shipping label so you can send the rifle to them and have it fixed for free. If they dont agree, i'd be sending the rifle back for a refund. No reason a rifle that costs that much should have a hard trigger like that. When u sighted it in didnt you notice the trigger? My rifle breaks at 3lbs which is perfect in the field and the target range. Let us know what happens.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:30 AM

I agree with Frontier's sentiments, a trigger pull that heavy is obviously a defect. Give their service department a call at 1-603-332-2333 before you do anything else.
I did have Bellm lighten my trigger (4.25 to 2.25lbs) and put stronger springs in my Encore last July. It's an upgrade well worth it.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:35 PM

I agree with Frontier's sentiments, a trigger pull that heavy is obviously a defect.
[quote]ORIGINAL: Doegirl75

Could be, but in this litigious society that we live in, I wouldn't be surprised if gun manufacturers today are intentionally making heavier trigger pulls than they did in the good 'ol days. Not that TC aims to produce a 5 lbs "Pro" model, but I would guess that they would rather produce a trigger pull a little on the high side than one around 2lbs.

That way they potentially limit their liability at the point of sale and at the same time create a market for Fox Ridge in cranking out custom trigger jobs.

Yeah, you could send your Encore Pro back to TC and have them work on it (and hope they do it right and it doesn't get damaged in shipping during the mad rush Xmas season [:@]), or spend the $15 for a Bellm spring, watch the video on your PC, learn how to break down your Encore more than the TC manual covers, and take care of the trigger job yourself. By the way, you really don't need the special pliers they offer...just the spring.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most BPI product triggers are alot worse than T/C. This is an isolated problem... not commonly found on T/C guns. While no T/C comes with an advertised 3 lb trigger like the Winchesters too, that's because the Winchesters promoted the light trigger &usedit to help sell the gun when it hit the market. Whikle the normal T/C trigger is closer to 4 lbs, T/C doesn't need to lighten the trigger anymore for a selling point. The quality, resale value& warranty speak for itself. There are other issues with Winchesters besides having a nice trigger.If a certain poster hereis going to continue to bash T/C at this site, then I will start bashing Winchester/CVA/BPI every time I readhis T/C bashing here.

There are200+happy T/C Encore/Omega members here that don'tbash Winchester products. But there's one Winchester owner here that bashes T/C... strangely without ever owning one.

How old are you frontier gander --12-1/2?
Old 12-08-2006, 01:11 PM

Tripple pull your head out of your ass. I was not bashing TC, i was saying straight forward that when you pay a high price for a rifle like that and you are having problems with the trigger, you do not need to spend anymore money, you need to send it in and get it fixed. Now how is that bashing? thats doing exactly what everyone should do with ANY rifle that has a trigger issue. If his trigger is that bad and he cant hit a deer, something is wrong with it and it needs to be sent in to TC and be fixed. And of course BPI has some trigger issues, but what do you expect when you buy a rifle for $100-200? Every product will have a flaw. Like Most omegas not being able to shoot conicals well. Every rifle out there has some flaw or trade off. But the main point here for the guy, Send it in and get it fixed for free! I feel you should not have to spend any more of your money to get it fixed. And what issues does winchester have? Besides the sights not being very bright in dim light. Every person that has mentioned they have one, love them and shoot excellent groups. i prefer a gun that lets me shoot pretty much any bullet i stuff down the barrel and my winchester allows me to do that. But no arguing here triple, if you cant agree with me that this guy should get his trigger fixed by TC for free, what good is that life time warranty you are always praising about? I like the warranty on my winchester.... Never been used.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had a couple of Encore's and omega's. The problem does not lie with the weight of pull(I do think it is excessive). The problem lies with the creep, and the fact that it feels jerky. I had one stoned by a competent smith. Now it is near perfect. I agree with the other poster who said that when you pay that much you should expect more. There is nothing wrong with the trigger in the rifle, it just needs TLC-which should be "PROVIDED" by TC. Tom.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:46 PM

ihear all these complaints about Encore triggers. Do not have any trouble with the trigger on my Encore. It breaks at a little less than four pounds and has no creep at all. Withmy new .30-06 barrel is shoots .5 inch three shot groups at 100 yards.

Quick Reply: Tough Trigger on the ProHunter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.