Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Tough Trigger on the ProHunter >

Tough Trigger on the ProHunter

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Tough Trigger on the ProHunter

Old 12-08-2006, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tough Trigger on the ProHunter

Actually alsagr- you hit the nail on the head. Consistency should be the word. And there lies the problem. The TC triggers are not consistent from gun to gun. The Encore is a fine firearm. I too have a 30-06 barrel for mine. And I just ordered a 6.5 barrel. They shoot great, and I love mine. But what good would it be if we could not complain about something? Tom.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:34 PM

I work on allot of the encore triggers in the area I live in. I've seen them come with "stock pulls" of 6+ lbs. to 3 lbs. It really depends on what you want the gun to do. If you want every .001 inch you can get out of it at the bench,a good trigger is a must. Most triggers I do, are wanted in the 2-3lb. range. One thing that WILL play havoc,with your accuracy is "trigger creep"! Most guns either come with adjustable triggers, set heavy at the factory on the heavy side for (liability reasons) or are non adjustable. Both can be made to funtion well,and still be safe. Few gun makers(with the exception of custom built guns) will pay a smith to set down and hone,and fit triggers,for engagement and fit,and surface match. The ones that do (custom built) will reflect it in their price.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

You are fortunate. Many owners complain of bad Encore triggers. I've owned three... out of the box only one would rate at good, one was heavy but acceptable, and the third was HORRIBLE. Thanks to Bellm's video and springs, all were made excellent without much difficulty or blood loss.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rks1949

Few gun makers(with the exception of custom built guns) will pay a smith to set down and hone,and fit triggers,for engagement and fit,and surface match. The ones that do (custom built) will reflect it in their price.
I have to wonder if its really necessary for manufacturersto contract smiths to customize triggers in order to produce a rifle with consistent and acceptable trigger characteristics. Maybe its not fair to saythat there are no problems with huntsman and sidekick triggers. But I can say this. Every other person who has shot my sidekick remarked about how smooth the trigger pulls and how clean it breaks. It just feels that good. When you go to their website it says, "trigger is set at the factory at 4 lbs", I think. But it seems they checktosee if its acceptablebefore it goes out. Mine feels less than 4 lbs but I haven't scaled it.

In any event, I didn't get a "horrible" trigger just cause I bought a lower end muzzle loader. When one goes out to eat, nothing is worse than getting cold or old food unfit to be served. Same is true for a rifle. Before its boxed and served to the customer, someone who knows enough to know if its acceptableshould test the trigger, and if he wouldn't "eat it", he shouldn't "serve it" either.

Old 12-10-2006, 10:47 AM

I want a hunting gun with a reasonable trigger pull. My Encore has that. Just put the scale on it. It broke like glass at a little over 3.5 pounds. Too light a trigger pull on a hunting rifle canlead tonegligent discharges and possible legal problems. Do not go to court over the accidental shooting of another hunter with a riflethat has a"hair trigger":That is what the prosecutor will call it. Very light trigger pulls on hunting rifles and gloves do not make a good combination.

Most of my guns have a trigger pill of 3-4 pounds. I find that about right. Some of the ex-military rifles that i have still have their two stage triggers. There is a lot to be said in favor of a good two-stage trigger.
My varmint rifle has a 1.5 pound Canjar trigger and that is about right for me.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: alsaqr

I want a hunting gun with a reasonable trigger pull. My Encore has that. Just put the scale on it. It broke like glass at a little over 3.5 pounds. Too light a trigger pull on a hunting rifle canlead tonegligent discharges and possible legal problems. Do not go to court over the accidental shooting of another hunter with a riflethat has a"hair trigger":That is what the prosecutor will call it. Very light trigger pulls on hunting rifles and gloves do not make a good combination.

Most of my guns have a trigger pill of 3-4 pounds. I find that about right. Some of the ex-military rifles that i have still have their two stage triggers. There is a lot to be said in favor of a good two-stage trigger.
My varmint rifle has a 1.5 pound Canjar trigger and that is about right for me.
Seems like all my rifles have acceptable triggers. I've bought one which didn't. It was a Savage 29M in 22 Mag which trigger bruised my index finger it was so incredibly hard to break. I honed itmyself. I guess for $99 I shouldn't have expected anything better than that.

Like you I don't want a hair trigger. I do hope you know where I'm coming from. I expect no less than to be served something edible no matter who or which company is serving. It often surprises me to read the responses people get when they complain about their TC rifle.Oftena complete and total lack of sympathy, usually accompanied with insinuations of lack of effort on the part of the complaining party or a how can you expect TC to do better than they've already done for you.

I've been interested in an Omega as a sabot rifle. I notice Cabelas has some. I also notice that they claim the trigger is 3 to 3.5 lbs with "zero creep". If I buy one, I'd expect to get what they said I'd get. I won't otherwise be satisfied.Its one thing to say what one does, its another to do what one says.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pglasgow-Truer words can not be spoken. I could not have put it any better(or even close). I do not believe you will find an Omega that will break at 3#, with zero creep. But good luck. I like me TC's, but I have had to work on the triggers. For the fellows who get the good ones, well halleluhiah(did I spell that right). But I can assure you that is not the norm, I have fooled with too many of them. IMO the best triggers in the ML world are on Knight rifles. Always have been, always**** **. Tom.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:59 PM
Spike

I bought a T/C Firestorm that had a terrible trigger and I sent it back toT/C to repair. When I got it back, the trigger was still terrible. I finally took it to a gunsmith and had it fixed right.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:35 AM
Fork Horn

Where do I find this "Bellm's video and springs"
Old 12-12-2006, 08:36 AM

See link below for FREE video that can be downloaded and played on PC

http://www.bellmtcs.com/Prod_and_Serv/free_cd.htm

Just click on "Encore Trigger Autorun"

Within above link, click on red button that reads "The Bellm Store" to find Encore springs.

Good luck.