Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 @@-Bullet Found- @@- Don't OverDrive PowerBelts-Pics >

@@-Bullet Found- @@- Don't OverDrive PowerBelts-Pics

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

@@-Bullet Found- @@- Don't OverDrive PowerBelts-Pics

Old 12-14-2006, 12:13 AM

Default RE: Don't OverDrive PowerBelts-Pics

whitetails must have thicker body armor. ive had zero problems with pass thru shots out to 148 yards with the 245 grain powerbelt. I still find this bullet failure amazing. Looks like you placed that shot close to where i like to aim.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:20 PM
Typical Buck

The only difference between a powerbelt and a maxi ball is the pretty copper color and the plastic hoola hoop, and about ten times the price.
Yep, that's why I went to shooting Great Plains conicals.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

It might do well to put all this 70 grains 270 PB into perspective. First it seems clear that LaneNebraska is using a .45 cal. So first off comparing it to a 70 grain charge in a 50 cal. just isn't fair. First, lets convert the 70 grains to an equivalent in .50 cal. Just multiply by the percentage increase in bore area. 24% X 70= 16.8. Add that to 70 grains and we've got 87 grains of JSG. Doesn't JSG perform like 777 3f? If so lets multiply that by 115%(for the fact 777 should be reduced by 15%)and get 100 grains. Now lets convert for3f and multipy 100 grains by 110%. We get 110 grains.Soto get the same velocity from a .50 cal bullet of the same sectional density, oneneedsin the neighborhood of110 grains RS or 2f BP.

Whats a 50 cal bulletof the same sectional density as a 270 .45cal bullet? Around 335 grains. So a 338 platinum PBwith 110 grains of RS is equivalent in muzzle velocity to a 270 PB with 70 grains JSG. If 110 grains is driving a 338 too fast in a 50 cal. then 70 grains of JSG is driving a 270 too fastin a .45 cal. I'll let everyone be their own judge on that. But I don't think its as simple as this grainage or that grainage. It as simple as theimpact velocity, bullet weight, and profile of the hollowpoint, which maybe isn't all that simple afterall.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:32 PM

are you sure hes using a .45? he said he used a 270 grain bullet and they only make 270 grain powerbelt in 50cal. 45's are 223 and 300 grain. I really wouldnt be to worried about pass thru. The deer dropped in its tracks. And those great plains bullets arnt that great either. I punched one into a doe at 15-20 yards right in the shoulder and it didnt even start to make a hole in the other shoulder. In fact we found it mushroomed and wedged against the inner shoulder and hardly any marks on it. Thats why im going back with powerbelts, ive had way better luck with complete pass thru shots.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

are you sure hes using a .45? he said he used a 270 grain bullet and they only make 270 grain powerbelt in 50cal. 45's are 223 and 300 grain.
Your right, except the copper .45's also come in 275 grains. I confused them. 70 grains JSGin 50 cal. would be like 90 grains RS for muzzle velocity. I can see the PB shattering at 40 yards, especially high on the back like that where the ribs are thicker and there is a little more meat on them.

Im not really worried about pass through. I always seem to get them. I have said this before. How can one argue with success? If the deer is dead well, it just doesn't get better than that.

I just wouldn't want someone to take from the "second round" that 70 grains of 2f BP or RS would produce identical results. I really don't think they would.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:50 PM

"I really wouldnt be to worried about pass thru. The deer dropped in its tracks."

Can't believe that you feel this way. If you hunt where there is any cover at all, you want a hole in and a hole out. If you don't you will probably not have a good blood trailto help you find your deer. M/Lers are different from high powered rifles in that more often than not the deer do run off. That is fine, no problem at all. You double lung a deer and it is going to die, usually within 100 yards. If I shoot one and don't get a passthrough, I will try to figure out why, but not loose sleep over it. But, my goal is to have good bullet expansion and a complete passthrough.

"I punched one into a doe at 15-20 yards right in the shoulder and it didnt even start to make a hole in the other shoulder"

This, is a part of your problem. Don't aim for the shoulder. Shoot your MLer like a bow and aim behind the shoulder. You will take out both lungs and possibly the top of the heart. I have, andstill do, take shots other thanbehind the shoulder. But, it is a calculated risk.I am comfortable w/ the shockwaves to know that Ican bust throughboth shoulders and the spine and I will stillgeta passthrough. I would love to see you hit the same deer with your 245 grain pb. The difference between it and the plains bullet is that instead of a mushroomed bullet in the other shoulder, you would have 500 little pieces of lead.

Hank
Old 12-14-2006, 12:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Pglasgow

It might do well to put all this 70 grains 270 PB into perspective. First it seems clear that LaneNebraska is using a .45 cal. So first off comparing it to a 70 grain charge in a 50 cal. just isn't fair. First, lets convert the 70 grains to an equivalent in .50 cal. Just multiply by the percentage increase in bore area. 24% X 70= 16.8. Add that to 70 grains and we've got 87 grains of JSG. Doesn't JSG perform like 777 3f? If so lets multiply that by 115%(for the fact 777 should be reduced by 15%)and get 100 grains. Now lets convert for3f and multipy 100 grains by 110%. We get 110 grains.Soto get the same velocity from a .50 cal bullet of the same sectional density, oneneedsin the neighborhood of110 grains RS or 2f BP.

Whats a 50 cal bulletof the same sectional density as a 270 .45cal bullet? Around 335 grains. So a 338 platinum PBwith 110 grains of RS is equivalent in muzzle velocity to a 270 PB with 70 grains JSG. If 110 grains is driving a 338 too fast in a 50 cal. then 70 grains of JSG is driving a 270 too fastin a .45 cal. I'll let everyone be their own judge on that. But I don't think its as simple as this grainage or that grainage. It as simple as theimpact velocity, bullet weight, and profile of the hollowpoint, which maybe isn't all that simple afterall.
great info..you folks are just awesome on your info on here..

here is sprouls view..that holein that deer shows that load was too hot ,in my opinion, but thats not all bad,IF SHOT IS BEHIND SHOULDERS..

MY FIRST buckwith powerbelt 295 ,80 grs of 2f,50 cal flintlock ,the bullet went right thru behind shoulder and out the otherside..

buck went right down..i think the heavier bullet is better in 50 cal but i get such great groups out of the 295,i like it..

Old 12-14-2006, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

F.G.

There are some very wise words in hanks comments. I know he wouldn't have said them if he didn't want you to take something positive from them. So please do just that and I promise your future ML experience will improve as a result.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:05 PM

i know what hes sayin. With that doe i shot with the great plains bullet, i spine shot her at 90 yards and finished her off at maybe 15 yards. I always hard so much about using a bigger bullet to punch through both shoulders, i wanted to see what it would do. With powerbelts, i always go for lung shots. Ive put them down right in their tracks. Even when i used to hunt with a centerfire they were always lung shots. I just hate shoulder shots due to so much meat getting ruined.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

i know what hes sayin. With that doe i shot with the great plains bullet, i spine shot her at 90 yards and finished her off at maybe 15 yards. I always hard so much about using a bigger bullet to punch through both shoulders, i wanted to see what it would do. With powerbelts, i always go for lung shots. Ive put them down right in their tracks. Even when i used to hunt with a centerfire they were always lung shots. I just hate shoulder shots due to so much meat getting ruined.
there is not much meat in whitetail deer shoulder..some throw shoulders away..i like just behind shoulder where elbow is..most i shoot in neck..

Quick Reply: @@-Bullet Found- @@- Don't OverDrive PowerBelts-Pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.