Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 @@-Bullet Found- @@- Don't OverDrive PowerBelts-Pics >

@@-Bullet Found- @@- Don't OverDrive PowerBelts-Pics

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

@@-Bullet Found- @@- Don't OverDrive PowerBelts-Pics

Old 12-14-2006, 01:43 PM

Default RE: Don't OverDrive PowerBelts-Pics

maybe on whitetail but i hunt mule deer. Theres a lot of meat on the shoulder of a big mule doe. Ususally get 3 to 4 steaks off one shoulder + burger. Lung shots are still #1 in my book for dropping them fast.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

maybe on whitetail but i hunt mule deer. Theres a lot of meat on the shoulder of a big mule doe. Ususally get 3 to 4 steaks off one shoulder + burger. Lung shots are still #1 in my book for dropping them fast.
never hunted a mule deer but i bet,as you said there is meat on shoulders..

i agree with you..
Old 12-14-2006, 02:29 PM
Typical Buck

Yea

I'm shooting a 45cal. Meant to say the 275Grain PB. And I'm going back to the range soon and will chrony the loads

Old 12-14-2006, 02:36 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: sproulman
there is not much meat in whitetail deer shoulder..some throw shoulders away..i like just behind shoulder where elbow is..most i shoot in neck..
Throwin the front shoulders away cause there's not enough meat??? There is plenty of meat on the shoulders of deer I shoot. On most decent size deer we even keep a shoulder roast, until a few years ago we decided we want more ground meat rather than a shoulder roast. Unless of course you put a bullet through the shoulder then yeah, there isnt much worth saving. But being wasteful with an animal you just took is a sin in my book, if someone is that picky/lazy they dont want the shoulders perhaps they should hunt in the meat section of the local supermarket rather than the woods lol, for the people who "some throw shoulders away.."

ORIGINAL: ahankster

"I really wouldnt be to worried about pass thru. The deer dropped in its tracks."

Can't believe that you feel this way.
I have shot about equal numbers of pass-through shots as I have non-pass-throughs. Which is better? Well, I havent had any issues yet recovering deer from either, so apparently its not as big of deal as some think. Perhaps in thick cover or were traking is more difficult, but that doesnt mean that those conditions are present were most of us hunt.

ORIGINAL: LaneNebraska
Shot a 10point small basket buck and another doe last saturday. This time I used 70 grains of Shockey's Gold and the 270grain PB.

Boom Flop at 40 yards! Hit him high, just behind shoulder. Smaller entry hole, andNO pass thruBullet dissintigrated.
Just because it didnt pass though does not mean the bullet stangely vaporized or exploaded into bits. Almost all the bullets I have recovered show a lot of mushrooming but mostly together. I doubt my non-pass-throughs have lost any more mass than the ones that were a pass through. But kinda hard to weigh the ones that passed through.

The only difference between a powerbelt and a maxi ball is the pretty copper color and the plastic hoola hoop, and about ten times the price.
Last I checked I could easily distinguish between the two. Not that I have looked into the maxi balls but the first couple things that come to mind would be a lot less lead fouling in the riffling, and the fact that with powerbelt I dont need to mess with bore butter at all, its been the easiest bullet to slide down my barrel yet. I would aslo bet you ballistic coeficient is going to be a tad different between the two.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LaneNebraska

Yea

I'm shooting a 45cal. Meant to say the 275Grain PB. And I'm going back to the range soon and will chrony the loads
I thought you had a 45 cal. from previous posts you have made. Thanks for clearing it up for us. Also thanks for chronying the load. I'mlooking forward to yourreport on that.

Just for grins and giggles it would be interesting to to see how much RS it takes in .50 cal to propel a 338 to the same velocity.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

i will second that on powerbelts..NO MORE BORE BUTTER IN WINTER..
Old 12-14-2006, 08:43 PM
Typical Buck

I was a bit hasty, when I said the PB dissintigrated. Found it on the far shoulder lodged in the fat chunk in the arm pit

Found a few fragments when I was deboning also. Looks like about half the wieght is still there.

Might have to back that charge down another 10grains and see how she flys
Old 12-14-2006, 09:04 PM

bullet held up pretty good. Mushroomed nicely.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lane,

I can hardly wait for you chrony results. Great report, good expansion, but lost alot of weight.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:22 PM
Spike

I was wondering, are the platinum powerbelts built with thicker jacketing? Just curious what the difference was why they made the plat series.

Talked to my dad today, he shot a deer last weekend with his 270gr plat powerbelt. he uses a pretty hot charge, 110gr of 777. As I expected, he reported the bullet did fragment into a few pieces (no pass through). I mentioned to him about some of the things said in the thread, but he seemed more than happy about his bullet exploading and 'doing lots of internal damage'. To each his own I guess. I would like to push the velocity up myself, but will be using something else, was just trying out the platinums this fall and was what I was sighted in for when the season came around.

Quick Reply: @@-Bullet Found- @@- Don't OverDrive PowerBelts-Pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.