Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 @@-Bullet Found- @@- Don't OverDrive PowerBelts-Pics >

@@-Bullet Found- @@- Don't OverDrive PowerBelts-Pics

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

@@-Bullet Found- @@- Don't OverDrive PowerBelts-Pics

Old 12-18-2006, 04:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Don't OverDrive PowerBelts-Pics

In some states you have to use conical's, We are very fortunate to have powerbelts, A lot of the new rifles (if not all inlines)are made to shoot sabots. I shot 2 elk (4 times bigger than adeer)with 348 powerbelts, both died. I tried most every conical combination to shoot out of several Omega's none would group
at all. A powerbelt has to have soft lead so it can obturate, the skirt is only for looks it spins on the nipple and has to come off or accuracy goes south. The White rifle (which I used this year on a large bull) uses heavy conicals 460 or bigger and they are great. If you put a heavier coating it will cut down on how this bullet can work, it needs to obturate. Making the
leadharder will cause leading in the barrel. I believe and have proven in several rifles that you need to shoot the heaviest powerbelt there is, at least a 348.
I couldn't get the platinums to group at all.
Redclub
Old 12-18-2006, 05:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Redclub

In some states you have to use conical's, We are very fortunate to have powerbelts, A lot of the new rifles (if not all inlines)are made to shoot sabots. I shot 2 elk (4 times bigger than adeer)with 348 powerbelts, both died. I tried most every conical combination to shoot out of several Omega's none would group
at all. A powerbelt has to have soft lead so it can obturate, the skirt is only for looks it spins on the nipple and has to come off or accuracy goes south. The White rifle (which I used this year on a large bull) uses heavy conicals 460 or bigger and they are great. If you put a heavier coating it will cut down on how this bullet can work, it needs to obturate. Making the
leadharder will cause leading in the barrel. I believe and have proven in several rifles that you need to shoot the heaviest powerbelt there is, at least a 348.
I couldn't get the platinums to group at all.
Redclub
i agree with you ,with no experience ,other than buck i got this year with 295 pb..

i read article on a hunter that tested the different powerbelts on whitetail..

he happened to use a .50 cal in-line which i have no experience with in-lines..

he said, do not use any PB under 348 in the .50 cal on whitetail deer..i may go to the 348 myself, next season..348 is almost same length as the maxi-ball 370 which was my best bullet,295 is much shorter..

295 shot best out of my 1-48 twist hawkins..
Old 12-18-2006, 05:42 PM
Spike

Everyones got an opinion, I only tried the 270 PPB since it was recommended to my dad by a #1 blackpowder shooter in NYS, although he also said 270gr was the min he would go. Myself, 270gr is the heaviest I have shot a deer with, most with 250gr shockwaves, and so far none have complained.

For me the choice is simple. Shoot what is most accurate in your gun. I probably wouldnt shoot something less accurate for any reason. If you can get great groupings with a multitude of rounds, then you can get picky. There are very few bullets out there that would have a problem taking a whitetail... elk and such is a different story perhaps. But I would wory about getting a nice tight group far before who recommends what, etc. I tried the 338 PB (the heaviest sold locally - and hard to find sometimes) in my cheapie CVA Staghorn trying to improve its accuracy. It did not group any better than the cheaper 250gr shockwaves. I ended up buying a new gun. And after doing some searching online I found that the even lighter 220gr all lead dead center sabots were recomended for my gun: http://www.chuckhawks.com/knight_disc_elite.htm unfortunately they arent sold locally, I am going to try an order some in various weights and see how they perform next year, along with other sabots too. I havent yet found a bullet with accuracy I am happy with, if I dont this next year I may have to explore the possibility its the scope.