Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Nosler Partition Success >

Nosler Partition Success

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Nosler Partition Success

Old 12-13-2006, 07:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Nosler Partition Success

cayugad

They wuld be a great hog bullet, but I just can not imagine what one of them 500 grain bullets would do - probably turn the thing inside out...

If you look at the tip of the 300 Protected Point that little piece of lead you see is a upside down coned shape piece of lead maybe a little longer than an 1/8 inch - then you hit the partition - that little piece of lead upon contact flattens and causes the copper wings to expand and begin doing their thing while the bulk of the bullet behind the partition continues to drive the bullet through what ever it contacts. It does it job on thick skins and big bones but thin skin without hitting a major bone is just a hot ice pick through butter... it is a 3/4 to 7/8" hole and the animal is dead it just takes awhile for it to figure it out.

Old 12-14-2006, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

While at my local bullet suppliers yesterday I compaired prices. they handle Nosler, Speer, Hornaday pistol bullets.
Rounded up to the next dollar 250 gr bullets, Nosler partitions$ 47.00, Speer gold dots $28.00 and Hornaday HP XPT's $26.00.
Was at Gander Mountian yesterday. Their selection of Bullets just didn't allow you to compare. No grains the same between the brands they carry.

Al

Old 12-14-2006, 09:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

alleyyooper

Speer gold dots $28.00 and Hornaday HP XPT's $26.00.
Whoa! that is way to much money for those bullets... unless that is for 100 bullet boxes of the lighter bullets...

The heavier XTP's and GoldDots should come in 50 packs and be about half that price...

I just paid $13.00 for 50 - 250 grain .452 Gold Dots. My old boxes are marked $10.49 dang! I should have bought more then
Old 12-14-2006, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

There 100 bullets in a box for that price.
Up untill a couple years ago I was buying Nosler Bt for my 7MM 08 for what 50 cost now.
Al
Old 12-14-2006, 05:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

The local sports store has been selling XTP 100 box for 18.99 maybe I should buy a half dozen before he wises up. Lee
Old 12-23-2006, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sabotloader,
I too shoot Nosler Partitions 300g, and I too don't like the price increase. I am shooting Hornady XPTs in my Flintlock this season, a friend has had great success with these bullets. I also know that the Modern Muzzleloading book fellow uses them and has had great success. They are only $10 for 100 at Cabelas, so they are cheap to shoot and if their terminal performance is good, what more can you ask for. I like the Noslers, but I hate paying $1/bullet.
Chap Gleason Va
Old 12-24-2006, 02:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

gleason.chapman

It really has been a long time since I have seen your name pop up on the forum. Glad to see you back around here...

I probably have purchased my las couple of boxes of Noslers. I think I have found a great alternative. The Speer Gold Dots, they are a bonded bullet that also have a controlled expansion so that they retain their weight. I am not sure they that they will penetrate to the extent that aNosler will, but the will not blow-up and they will drive.

I have shot XTP's for several years now plinking and target shooting, butI also know you can strip the copper right off an XTP in tough situations. The one XTP that I do haveconfidence in as "good" bullet is the10mm 200 grain XTP - it is a screamer 2300 ft./sec and really does a lot of hydrostatic damage as people are reporting.. We can not use it in Idaho as we have a .428 minimum.

The Gold Dots - we can use .... here is a couple of strings you might look at.... I tried to find you one time I wanted to send you some to shoot into your penetrations test that you conducted a few years back.... remember I sent you some .458/300 grain Noslers to test....

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1791957

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1791957

Might look @ this source of Noslers @ a greatly reduced rate - for blems...

http://www.shootersproshop.com/bullets.htm

They do not always have what you are looking for so you have to keep checking - but look at the prices....
Old 12-24-2006, 06:20 AM
Spike

I tried the .44 cal 275 gr Gold Dots SP with Hornady green sabots. I could not get them to group beyond 50 yds. They were horrible at 100. I tried them with 3 different powder weights and couldn't get any consistancy. I picked up some .452 300 gr FP at Gander ($13) and Hornady black sabots. I was able to get 3 inches at 100 in my first session. I definately need to do better, but not a horrible 1st try with this bullet. A tougher sabot and tweaking the powder may tighten the groups. I prefer penetration over expansion, so I don't use HP's, especially at Savage velocities. Anyway, the Speer's seem to be a bargin at .25 each.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:42 AM

I have always just bought ML bullets in a pack matched up with sabots. So if I buy bulk bullets how do I determine what sabot to buy.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sabotloader,
Thanks for the kind re-introduction. I was pretty regular on the old muzzleloadingformum.com site till it went traditional only.I am in the market for a new Savage 10 ML, so wanted to find out load info and bullet info for this rifle. I will buy it after hunting season. I am a Nosler believer as you are, but at $1 each, they are too rich for my blood, so I am back to "searching for a good bullet that holds together and drives deep, like the Noslers". I will give the Gold Dot a try, at .25 each that sound like a good deal. I am also going to consider a new bullet that my brother just went to a Harvester Sabretooth 300G. He was still using Powerbelts in his
Encore, until he hit a buck in the shoulder and found bullet fragments on the ground exactly were the buck stood. He never found the buck but found the fragements and sent all his PBs and his fragments to CVA with a note to make a better bullet. I told him about Toby Bridges article on PB and Sabretooth and he tried them and liked the way they loaded. Me I like the crused rib sabot, it will shoot everything an goes down easy in a
field clean barrel.

I plan on shooting Hornady XPTs instead of PRBs in my flintlock in PA this year. The PRB do NOT expand and leave little blood trail (my brother got me into Flintlocking in PA, it is really fun). I didn't want to use the Noslers, cause they are so expensive to shoot, but I sill use them in my inlines, cause they are all set up for it and I still have a box of 50. Also the TC Web site had the manual for the TC Hawken and it shows the Hornady XPT deadly out to 150 with 100 yard zero. I shoot open sights on it (like colorado) and Goex 2F with 100g charge. We had two doe get away on my last winter with PRB shot at 35 yards! I know God made foxes and crows and other scavengers for the "road kill" purpose, but I hate having a wounded deer get away, 'cause I know it is going to suffer until it dies, and I honestly don't like to even go up on a deer down and deeply breathing it's last breaths. I prefer to walk up to a dead deer.

Thanks so much for the links and your knowledge and wisdom in this quest for the perfect bullet which is "price, expansion and penetration" in my model, with penetration being number 1, expansion being 2 and price being numbe 3. Less than $.50 is my target for a hunting bullet.
Will be in touch.
Chap Gleason, Va

Quick Reply: Nosler Partition Success

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.