Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Nosler Partition Success >

Nosler Partition Success

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Nosler Partition Success

Old 12-24-2006, 10:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Nosler Partition Success

gleason.chapman

Me I like the crused rib sabot, it will shoot everything an goes down easy in a field clean barrel.
I have "crush ribs" also but I have found that the MMP HPH-3p-EZ works better for me than the the "crush ribs." The 3 petal EZ is MMP's answer to the really tight barrel. When I was testing them against the "crush rib" I found that I achieved a higher velocity with them than I did the "crush rib" - but then again the rifle I was using for the testing did not need either one of those two sabots to load easily. It normally loads HPH-24's without a probelm.

This picture is really not fair to either bullet but, I wanted to show you. These bullets were fired in the a damp (well wet) clay waterbar then retrieved and cleaned up a little bit.

As you can see I shot the laed right out of the Hornady's and was left with just the copper... while the Speer's (my poor man's Noslers) heald together very well. I all fairness of the ten hornady's shot into the bank not all of them were stripped, but all the Hornady's suffered signifcant weight loss while the Speers did not.

I prefer to walk up to a dead deer.
AMEN to that...

Old 12-24-2006, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are these the bullet?

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=557475

If so I like the sound of this, which sounds very similar to the tests you did and I did on the Noslers and the Speer, this was a write up on the Speer at the Midway reloading site.
Chap
Old 12-24-2006, 01:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

gleason.chapman

Nope - those are the .451 SP - they work well also but the Gold Dot is another bullet....

Here they are...

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=719430

That is a good price - they are going up as all bullets are...

http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=SP&amp ;category=0&prodID=SP3974

Speer information

http://www.speer-bullets.com/default.asp?s1=3&s2=7&s3=6

http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballistics/bullet_detail.aspx?id=142

45 Revolver Golt Dot HP 454 Casull

Part Number
Caliber

Weight Grain
Weight Gram
Construction

45 Revolver
Uni-Cor

Use
Bullet Coefficient
Sectional Density
Diameter Inches
Diameter mm
Box Count

Check out the BC for this bullet.....

mike

Old 12-24-2006, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK, it looks like they are $21 on sale for a box of 50, which is about .50 each. The SP are bonded and from this appear to work as well and are only $13, $11.60 on sale. Hey, why are bullets going up so much, can't be that they are that more labor intensive to make them?
Chap

Old 12-24-2006, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Appears that Natechez doesn't sell the 3974 which is the Speer product number that you send me from Midway, they only have two boxes at midway. I like what I read about the fellow from WI who did the test into mason sand. Only the speers held together, that says to me they will go deep and not break up.
Chap
Old 12-24-2006, 03:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

gleason.chapman

The Speer plant is just down the road from me in Lewiston, ID and they are getting ready to make a run of Gold Dots after the first of the year. There are a lot places that are out of them... I would like to think is because they are becomming so popular...

Price increase in both copper and lead is driving the cost up... even lead shot has taken a big jump... suppose price of feul has something to do with that.

Appears that Natechez doesn't sell the 3974 which is the Speer product number that you send me from Midway,
Oh, they sale it it just that they are out, I think I might have got the last 4 boxes....

Looks like Gamalliel has them.... They still list them as .451 which is what they use to be... before they were upgraded with a new nose and thicker copper...

http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/customer/product.php?productid=3284&cat=&page=3

That guys review is exactly what I have been finding... The .451 Speer 300 grain SP is no slouch... They do not advertise it as a bonded bullet but it is electroplated. I shoot a lot of them because the are less expensive and they fly through a 100 yard range about the same as the Gold Dot. A friend of mine shooting a Traditions Woodsman took a pretty nice black bear with the Sp this year and it worked great. He had been using PowerBelts - but said he would never go back now...

I really do not think Speer is capitalizing on the quality of thisbullet at - they could do a lot more advertising and they haven't - same for their "Bear Claw" rifle bullet - it is a great one and yet it remains relatively obscure in the world of reloading.

mike

Old 12-24-2006, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am going to get 50 of the SP and give them a try because they are cheaper than the Gold Dot, work up a load for them. Thanks for putting me onto these.
Chap