Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Measuring ?

Old 11-30-2006, 09:41 PM

Default Measuring ?

Hi, I am somewhat new to ML and have a couple questions. The first is when measuring powder in my measurer 100 grains weighs 150 grains on my digital scale. Why is this and is it normal. The next question is I have heard that most ML guns do not have barrels long enough to fully burn a 150 gn load before the projectile exits the barrel. Is this true and if so what would be the max amount a TC omega could burn with out waste. Thank you for any replies.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Measuring ?

First off Volume and weight are not the same for black powder subs; if your measure does not come close with black then maybe you should do some looking at other measures,I know they can vary a bit and be ok but I have one that is so far off I just use it to show people how bad some brands are.
As for how much powder you can burn in a barrel that changes with both the weight and the tightness of the sabot or bullet. I will say that according to the chrony shock waves from 200gr up show enough increase in velocity that I feel that they are reasonably efficant it is normal for their to be a peak in the burning curve of any powder and for it to taper dow from there with a 250 gr bullet I find the peak to be at about 125 gr.
Also remember that the important thing is accuracy, it really does not make any differance how powerfull a miss is. Lee
Old 11-30-2006, 10:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Measuring ?

With loose powder I find that a 24" barrel or longer seems to handle 120 grains of loose powder. Your owners manual will give you recommended limits for your rifle. Follow those at all times. From reading chronograph results for some of the kind posters on this board, after 120 gr of loose powder, you begin to get diminished results in relation to the powder amounts.