Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Unloading after hunting? >

Unloading after hunting?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Unloading after hunting?

Old 11-27-2006, 12:11 PM

Default RE: Unloading after hunting?

I don't unload it unless it's been in there for a long time or it got wet in there. I just take the cap off. I don't reuse the powder but I am cheap and always reload the bullet. I use hollow points and will take my chances with using the same one again. If the bullet's bad I wouldn't try using it again though.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:31 PM

When its time to go home from the deer lease, I take out the breech plug and push it out. I trash the Pyrodex Pellets. I then trash the sabot. The bullet is un damaged. At least thats the way it works for the Shockwaves.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:34 PM

i unload the gun only if it has been fired and re-loaded. If the bore is clean i will let it sit loaded for weeks. Never had a problem with this.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have no use for the expelled parts for shooting at the range in future visits. All that's salvageable is the bullet - not the sabot or powder.Even the bullet mayincrease the odds of less-than-expected shot groups by being slightly distorted or a loose poly-tip. I won't even use them for a fouling shot. Just discard the who sha-bang & start fresh. Whenever possible - like on vast state/federal land, I just shoot it out. Look for something to aim at ...(that's not one of God's creatures)... and have some fun. Shoot more than once - that's even better!
Old 11-27-2006, 01:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds to me like most of us use about the same procedure, I push mine out except where I feel I might need to check the sighting after a long hunt, or a bump, then I find a rest and a check able target and shoot it. Lee
Old 11-27-2006, 11:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a corner post in the fence that really doesn't like me very much since I bought my muzzleloader. It has alot of holes in it now.......
Old 11-28-2006, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

If the weather is dry I'll just remove the cap at the end of the day. I remove my breech plug in the Remington dump the 777 and keep the Barnes bullet. On my Lyman I fire into the nearest safe target.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:21 AM
Fork Horn

Here in WV as well as other states I am sure the gun is considered unloaded when the cap is removed. Because of this law I leave mine loaded the whole season but never bring it indoors due to the temperature change and moisture. During the moment of truth the gun has never failed to go boom.

WV Mountaineer