Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Unloading after hunting? >

Unloading after hunting?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Unloading after hunting?

Old 11-25-2006, 09:04 PM
Spike

Default Unloading after hunting?

I have read that some of you guys take the breech plug out then push the powder thru and then the projectile. Wondering on if you re-use the powder then.Assuming grease gets in the powder. I use 777 loose powder. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Unloading after hunting?

i wouldnt reuse it but thats just me
Old 11-25-2006, 09:22 PM
Dominant Buck

I would not re-use the projectile over again either. As for the powder and projectile that comes out of the rifle, use them on the range. Load fresh the next day and use all new stuff.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

I guess I am wondering why not use the projectile? I push them through all the time and I really do not see any marks or distortion on them. Now if you have to pound them through that might be different.

But, again you know I am cheap and when I push a Nosler Partition through - I am not wasting it. Actually i re-use the Gold Dots and Hornady's also. One thing that helps me is the the TC extended jag that i use that really fits the bullets well.

Old 11-25-2006, 09:45 PM
Dominant Buck

It is just something in my head.. I can not prove that there is a reason not to shoot them. I see rifling on the conical or the sabot and do not reuse them.. I shoot them on the target range.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:41 PM

Its almost impossible to reshoot bullets, Great plains bullets in my rifle after i push them out the noses are all flat and wouldnt shoot good. Powerbelts cut groves into the bullet and thats not good to reshoot them.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: buzz_boy35

I have read that some of you guys take the breech plug out then push the powder thru and then the projectile. Wondering on if you re-use the powder then.Assuming grease gets in the powder. I use 777 loose powder. Thanks in advance.
With an inline, I take the primer out, thenremove the breech plug, dump the powder out the breech into a mud puddle in the woods, then push the bullet out the breech with a ramrod inserted from the muzzle. Then I swab the borewith a patch saturated with Birchwood-Casey SHEATH, and put the breechplug back in. Can't really use the powder again, IMO! But the bullet can be used, if it was not badly deformed...

With a sidelock, I just fire the thing into a dirt bank, and clean it that evening.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:17 PM
Typical Buck

i push eveything out and then get a new one and put the old one in my range container
Old 11-26-2006, 09:20 PM
Typical Buck

Dang I leave it loaded for 3 or 4 days ( just remove the primer) then I just shoot it out, then clean it
Old 11-26-2006, 09:33 PM

With my inline and hunting, i never push out the load unless i know that water got down the bore. But what i do replace everyday is a new cap. I wont bother using the same cap.

Quick Reply: Unloading after hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.