HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Knock down power
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2006, 09:37 AM
Crimson1

Default RE: Knock down power

I guess I should not have used the words "knock Down". That wasn't really what I was asking, I should have asked if the big MZ hollow points would still carry enough steam to adequatly take down a deer at 150+yds. The buck I posted a pictue of the other day was shot in the heart at 45ydsor so with the MZ, when the smoke cleared his head and chest were flat on the ground and his butt was still in the air,he then just fell over dead. when I dressed him out the damage to the heart was VERY impressive to say the least! Sorry about the wording in my post!

ORIGINAL: cayugad

The term Knock Down is kind of misleading. I've shot a lot of animals and some did drop where they stood. Normally this was because of where the bullet hit and what it shattered or broke. For instance, neck shots, spine shots, all of these areas break the animal down. You are disrupting major bone and nerve groups with these hits.

I've even had a few major organ shots where the animal dropped. Perhaps I got lucky and caught the animal at the right time with no air on the lungs, or again shocked something enough that once the animal fell, it lacked the strength to get back up.

Then of course, all of us have put what we felt perfect shots on them. In fact I shot a small buck one year in the heart, I knew it. I was positive of my shot placement. There was snow on the ground and the mess where he WAS standing was incredible. Just looking at it, I knew it was dead and very close. Over a 100 yards later, walking a blood trail a blind man could follow, there he lay. How that deer managed to run that far is beyond me.

The 250 Barnes MZ's will give you excellent penetration and expansion. The wound channel through the deer will amaze you. A friend shot a does at 60 yards two or threeyears ago with a 300 grain Barnes and I've seldom saw that kind of damage inside a body cavityfrom a bullet. Whether it will knock the animal over, is impossible to say. It will depend on where it hits and what it breaks down. I think the Barnes is a definite long range projectile you have there. I will looks for some ballistics on it just to see the kind of down range energy it retains...