Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Kodiak

Old 11-13-2006, 09:09 AM

Default CVA Kodiak

I am looking at a muzzleloader. I want a TC omega however I don't have the funds. So I was going to settle for the kodiak by CVA what is your opinion on them. From holding them and looking at them I couldn't tell the difference to the TC actually. And .50 or .45 for MN deer.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: CVA Kodiak

I wouldn't try to talk you out of the Kodak especially with funds being tight. I've been in that boat myself. Although if you could wait, I think you might be able to find a Omega later on in some of the sales for as good a price as you might have to give for the Kodak.

As for the caliber get the .50 caliber. You're going to have better luck with that caliber. Some of the .45 calibers were hard to tune in. And there is nothing a .45 can do that a .50 can not match or do better.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:34 PM

I am in the same boat you are. Have you looked at the Omega Z5? Bass-pro is selling them for $300 with the starter kit and is throwing in a hard sided case. A really nicedeal on a super gun. I don't know how much the Kodiak is that you are looking at, but you really can't beat that deal on the Z5. Not trying to push the Z5 over the Kodiak, because ittoo is a goodd gun,and I don't knowhow tight funds are for youright now, but I have to agree with cayugad, becausein the long run you might be happier with the Omega if you just save up money now and purchase later. (That's what I am doing right now, I really want that Omega)

Good luck though, hopefully everything works out for you.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:17 PM

I'm with these guys. I was gonna settle for the Kodiak but now I'm gonna wait for enough to buy the Omega. It's definetely worth the extra money.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

I have a 50cal. kodiak mag. in nickle/black. It's a great shooting muzzy for sure. I get some good groups up to 100 yards and that is about as far as I can shoot and see a deer in my neck of the woods. I've put hundreds of shot throught it to see what it likes and nothing has gone wrong for me, as matter of fact I haven't even had a misfire yet and this is my first muzzleloader gun and first year hunting with a muzzleloader. Asfor saving money for a TC, a gun isonly goodin the eye of the beholder. What is good for someone, might not be good for you. You can't go wrong with either gun. Oh by the way, get the 50cal. there's nothing a 45cal can do that a 50cal can't do and it's bigger too.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Kodiak... shoots 1-1 1/2" groups at 50 yards through a 1x Red Dot scope. I had a very limited budget also and felt it was a decent gun for the money... I paid $148 using my points at Cabala's. They still have the blue barrel/black stock on sale for $189. $166 at www.budsgunshop.com. Whatever you decide, I hope you have a safe and successful season.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kodiak is a great gun, go for it.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:47 PM

I too shoot a CVA Kodiak Pro Mag with a SS barrel and black fleck composite stock that i purchased last fall, then i discovered this site that i really enjoy. From all the talkon hereI felt like maybe i made a mistake by going with the Kodiak, but I have come to love the way it handles and shoots. This fall I topped it with a Burris Fulfield II that I decided on with some help from theguys here. My Kodiak shoots 110 grain T7 pellets and HornadyXTP 240's sub 2 inch groups @ 100 yds. which is good for me. This site didalso educate me on the dangers of shooting 150 grains of pelletsthrough this gunwhich I would not have known had it not been for the great folks on this site.Whatever you decide I hope you enjoy shooting your new mz as much as i do.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:24 PM

You can shoot 150 grain pellet loads with up to a 348 grain bullet. Most rifles just dont shoot well with the mag loads. CVA also says you can shoot up to 130 grains loose powder with up to a 348 grain bullet safely. Ive shot hundreds of 150 mag loads through my BPI with no issues other than uncomfortable recoil. A lot of people are still stuck with the cva apollo and therefore, call BPI products junk due to one bad egg.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:08 AM

Gander Mountain here in MN has the kodaik Nickel composite on sale with the starters kit for $229.00 I can get the gun only in TC for $269.00 so I think if I can swing it the Kodiak is the no brainer here. Thanks.

Quick Reply: CVA Kodiak

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.