Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Kodiak

Old 11-14-2006, 09:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: CVA Kodiak

Get the .50 cal. A kodiak looks fine to me, I've never shot one. CVA's low-end rifles work just fine, they'll kill deer. Use 90gr powder and a 240-300gr sabot, and you'll kill deer if you hit them. TC's 'Cheapshot' is an accurate & inexpensive sabot, and effective on deer.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

I love my kodiak. The TC cheap shots are REALLY tight in mine, just so you know.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:11 PM

Helped a friend sight in his cva Wolf this past weekend. It took 20 shots to get it dialed in. I was really impressed with the gun. Got it down to 2 in at 100 yrds. This was using 250 shockwaves and 100 grain of T7 pellets. Could have tweaked it more with loose but he said it was good enough. CVA makes good guns. Dont let anyone tell you different.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:01 PM

Be careful of the kodiak, I bought one last year and had a problem with the firing pin being offset from the center of the primer. This caused the gun to misfire about 50% of the time. When it did fire I will say it was an acurate gun. I took the gun to my gunsmith he said that he could fix it but, he would have to shim it to make it line up. He said the best option would be to bring the gun back or call the manufacter. I called CVA about the problem and had some of the worst customer service of all time!Over the phone Iexplained the problem to CVA, they said it was a common problem and that I should send the gun to them and they would repair or replace it. When I asked if they were going to pay for the shipping she said they would only pay for the return shipping on the gun. I told her that I shouldn't have to pay shipping on a broken gun, her reply was that the problem wasn't their fault, they had subcontracted the building of the Kodiak gun out to a company in Brazil and the quality control there isn't so good. What the hell is that????? What kind of company knowingly allows sub-grade guns to be sold?? I told her that I was going to bring the gun back to Gander Mountain and purchase a new gun from a manufacture that had good quality control!

I took back the Kodiak and got a tc omega!! Great gun that always fires and is a tackdriver! It is more money but well worth the piece of mind that it will fire 100% of the time!
Old 11-15-2006, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Love my Kodiak,fits and feels real good now!
Old 11-15-2006, 07:44 PM

dr1175: Just wondering, would you consider a sidelock, percussion rifle? You can get a good quality used one at a decent price. I paid $175 for my white mountain carbine over the internet and it was in perfect shape and it's a heck of a shooter, too.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:54 PM

ORIGINAL: ks8674

Be careful of the kodiak, I bought one last year and had a problem with the firing pin being offset from the center of the primer. This caused the gun to misfire about 50% of the time. When it did fire I will say it was an acurate gun. I took the gun to my gunsmith he said that he could fix it but, he would have to shim it to make it line up. He said the best option would be to bring the gun back or call the manufacter. I called CVA about the problem and had some of the worst customer service of all time!Over the phone Iexplained the problem to CVA, they said it was a common problem and that I should send the gun to them and they would repair or replace it. When I asked if they were going to pay for the shipping she said they would only pay for the return shipping on the gun. I told her that I shouldn't have to pay shipping on a broken gun, her reply was that the problem wasn't their fault, they had subcontracted the building of the Kodiak gun out to a company in Brazil and the quality control there isn't so good. What the hell is that????? What kind of company knowingly allows sub-grade guns to be sold?? I told her that I was going to bring the gun back to Gander Mountain and purchase a new gun from a manufacture that had good quality control!

I took back the Kodiak and got a tc omega!! Great gun that always fires and is a tackdriver! It is more money but well worth the piece of mind that it will fire 100% of the time!
I, too had a negative experience with the Kodiak. Mine was a .45. 45's are notoriously persnickety, but there was something terribly wrong this gun's barrel. It was off by FEET. Tried two different scopes, iron sights, changed powder, changed projectiles multiple times, problem still there. Got fed up, took the rifle back, my money was refunded and I walked out the store with an Encore. 9 shots later at the range I was sight in. I'm not saying you need to unload 600-700 bucks to get a decent muzzleloader. But do be careful with the Kodiak. If it gives you any problems TAKE IT BACK. I trully hope you end up with a trouble free, tackdriver.