Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Jim Shockey in a Hawkens .50 >

Jim Shockey in a Hawkens .50

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Jim Shockey in a Hawkens .50

Old 11-05-2006, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default Jim Shockey in a Hawkens .50

I went to the range today and and I shot the JS FFFG in the TC hawken today. Here are my findings shot at 50 yrds with 460 Great Plains conicals (total of 20 rounds fired):
75gr- Not a very good group... measured in 1/2 feet (3 shots).
80 gr- Great sub 3" grouping but shooting 6 inches lower then my Pyrodex FFG and I have no room to raise the peep up any further. Will play with this after hunting season.
85 gr- the height came up but it was a 5 inch group. Cheek starting to get sore so I may be at fault on some of the shots (4 shots).
90 gr- all over the paper but I onlytook 3 shots

At 100 yrds I was missing the paper on all of the loads but I am not sure if I was high orlow. I only took a couple of shots with the 80 and 90 gr loads.

Clean up:
While there was less fouling in coming out of the barrel I did notice that the barrel was tighter with the patch and cleaning jag going down the barrel as compared to the Pyrodex. Note that I did not clean up between rounds as it is below freezing out side (minus 5 C) but loading became a little harder after the 1st 2-3 shots and then stayed constant. Not cleaning may have been a factor on the groupings.

Conclussion:
The verdict is out as I will need a bit more testing but I will be shooting the Pyrodex till after hunting season! Maybe longer.

My 2 cents
Eric

Old 11-05-2006, 06:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Jim Shockey in a Hawkens .50

Well I have not had the chance to shoot JSG but have shot APP 3f and have yet to find it shooting conicals very well. For conicals I like Triple Se7en 3f, Pyrodex P, Goex 3f, Triple Se7en 2f or Black Mag 3.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Cayugad:
The problem up in the far north is getting the different types of powders. They just started selling the JS and I have been looking for the Black gold but have yet to find a Canadian supplier. You guys are lucking to be in a place that offers the newest stuff on the market.

I will try to find the Black gold for my next purchase.

Eric
Old 11-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to read that Gelarson. That JSG must be expensive topurchase in Canada. Probably around $30???
Old 11-06-2006, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think for the heavy conicals black and for me 3F has work the best;I believe that the black substitutes are designed for sabot weight projectals. Lee
Old 11-06-2006, 09:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Triple Se7en which a substitute black powder seems to work excellent for conicals. Actually Triple Se7en is just a great powder all around if it were not for some of the crud ring problems it can develop.

Another favorite black powder substitute is Pyrodex P. For some reason this stuff really does shoot a number of projectiles excellent.

I do agree, that Pinnacle, American Pioneer, and claims... Shockey Gold are not good for conicals. Black Mag 3 on the other hand was a real surprise. I did have some real good results with it and conicals...
Old 11-06-2006, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Agreed... 777 and Pyrodex P perform best for me. I have-yet to try the Black Mag III. Really don't want to try it at that price anyways. If I were a one jug per year user - then perhaps I would. But not using 4-5 jugs every year. I could afford it on my salary- but I won't go there.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Fork Horn

SIT DOWN FOR THIS.....JSG $38 a pound.........[:@]
Old 11-06-2006, 07:23 PM

ORIGINAL: gelarson

SIT DOWN FOR THIS.....JSG $38 a pound.........[:@]
OUCH!!!