Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 NEW PLATIUM CVA POWERBELT >

NEW PLATIUM CVA POWERBELT

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

NEW PLATIUM CVA POWERBELT

Old 10-28-2006, 06:11 PM

Default NEW PLATIUM CVA POWERBELT

HELLO FELLOWS,

I LOVE GETTING ON THIS FORUM THERE ARE SO MANY PEOPLE HERE THAT HAVE SO MUCH EXPERINCE, FIRST OFF THANKS TO ALL OF YOU GUYS, MY QUESTION IS HAS ANYONE TRIED THE NEW PLATIUM SERIES BULLETS YET, I HAVE AND I HAVE MIXED EMOTIONS SHOOTING WELL SOMETIMES THEN ALL OVE THE PAPER OTHERS I THINK THERE NEW GAS RING HAS ISSUES.... LET ME KNOW FELLOWS.

CHRIS EDMONDS
Old 10-28-2006, 07:06 PM

Default RE: NEW PLATIUM CVA POWERBELT

I havnt tried the new powerbelts yet but the old ones have always done great for me.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Some people are having good luck with them, my fried likes them but he said he had to use a different powder and a different load; have to find a load that is consistant in your gun. Lee
Old 10-28-2006, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BIGLAWE

HELLO FELLOWS,

I LOVE GETTING ON THIS FORUM THERE ARE SO MANY PEOPLE HERE THAT HAVE SO MUCH EXPERINCE, FIRST OFF THANKS TO ALL OF YOU GUYS, MY QUESTION IS HAS ANYONE TRIED THE NEW PLATIUM SERIES BULLETS YET, I HAVE AND I HAVE MIXED EMOTIONS SHOOTING WELL SOMETIMES THEN ALL OVE THE PAPER OTHERS I THINK THERE NEW GAS RING HAS ISSUES.... LET ME KNOW FELLOWS.

CHRIS EDMONDS
Yes... an issue has surfaced.

PM sent your way!
Old 10-29-2006, 08:22 AM
Typical Buck

Yes... an issue has surfaced.
T7... haven't heard about any issues w/ the new powerbelts yet.. could you give usthe low down? The old Powerbelts didn't work well in my Omega... But I had considered picking up a pack of the new Platinums to try...But I was waiting to hear what others had found w/ them.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am shooting them with good accuracy out of my Omega (338 grain), but I had to go back to pyrodex (110 grains)to get good groups. Still haven't seen terminal results on game yet.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:49 AM

I got some back in September and shot about 30 testing them. Used 130 grains of 2F Jim Shockey Gold with good results; although it took a bit to figure out that you don't want to do any swabbing with this powder and you want to go afield with a fouled barrel. But accuracy and consistency seems very good. I also shot one of these into a bundle of water soaked phone books, and it appears to betough enoughfor elk hunting. Looking forward to trying them out on game sometime soon.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

Triple Seven,

I sent you an email. I would like to know the problems with the new Powerbelt Platinums as I have a couple packs that I plan to test shoot in the next week. If you don't wish to discuss here, please return my email!

Thanks for your help!

HH
Old 11-01-2006, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

No email at my address - no PM either!

The issue is nothing new....base going downrange too far. This is abullet-base that requires the smallestdiameter tolerances for proper fit.

Make sure the bullet-nubb &base fit is loose. Use dabbed-oil on a Q-Tip in that area of both bullet& base- spin thebase a few times after installing it - then uninstall-reinstall a couple of times - then put them back in the Powerbelt box until ready to use. Being a polymer/plastic, just keep working them until the fit is loose.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:31 AM

I love the old Powerbelts, but stopped using them because I can't afford them. It's basically like a dollar every time you shoot one--especially the new Platinums. I certainly wouldn't buy those new ones.