Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 trick for keeping powder/barrel dry? >

trick for keeping powder/barrel dry?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

trick for keeping powder/barrel dry?

Old 10-29-2006, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: trick for keeping powder/barrel dry?

Muzzle Mitts have worked for me: http://www.octobercountry.com/products3.php?productid=845 One package lasts me several seasons, so they are not that expensive. However, finger cots work just as well and are probably easier to obtain.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:57 AM

Is that so cascade? I have taken hunters safety.. long ago. Now i cant tell u how many times ive had my rifle slung over my shoulder and turn around and have someone elses face right over it trying to look over my shoulder. I commented that in the rain, why would you have your barrel pointing up? It has nothing to due with safety. When im out hiking up a mountain my rifle is usually cradled in my arm pointing out away from me. It all DEPENDS on the situation and if someone is in front of you. Now i always prefer to be ahead since im the only one in our group with a flintlock. But when im behind, the rifle is always over my shoulder with the muzzle pointing away from everyone. Now again, your therory of the rifle barrel pointing up is the safest direction is not always true, one slip going down a mountain and if that gun goes off when u hit the ground, that person behind you is going to be in a world of pain. It all depends on the situation you are in.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:14 PM

I have to agree with Frontier Gander, there is nothing unsafe about the 'low ready.' In the Army, we march in formation for miles that way; and it will keep the rain and snow out of the barrel.
The currenthunter safety manual teaches both the 'trail carry' and the 'elbow/ side carry', which are both muzzle-down position.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Muzzle-mitts, balloons & finger cots alow you to hold the ML any way you want while seated. There are pros & cons to shouldering the ML with muzzle-up in hardwoods while walking. These are NOT military centerfires that get loaded from the center-action and anything that fell down the bore will likely remain loose & get shot-out without any barrel ruptures. You need to be careful not to have anyoverhead limbs or leaves fall down that ML bore - thensit down shortly afterwards &load another powder/bullet combo down that bore.

Either way, you must remain extra careful. Personally, I like the muzzle ineye contact when walking- where I can see it moving in thickets. I'll put a tire valve cap over my sidelock nipple - make sure the 209 primer is removed & action shut if holding an inline-- then walk around the woodsknowing the ML is safe from firing. I do all this with the muzzle covered - but have found the muzzle uncovered a few times upon sitting down at my hunting spot - or when I reached the SUV or P/U.