Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Powder Longevity??? >

Powder Longevity???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powder Longevity???

Old 10-14-2006, 03:51 PM

Default Powder Longevity???

Hello guys and gals!!

Been a ML hunter all of my life (over 20 years experience). Started hunting with a TC Hawken at age 11, moved up to a Rem 700ML and have graduated to a TC Encore. I realize some here don't like this gun, but my performs wonderfully and I love it. Back to the topic.

I consider myself more then knowledgeable about ML issue. I am not a pro that tinkers with his rifle and loads on a weekly basis, but there is little about ML theory and practice that I am at least familiar with. Christmas 05 I received a ML book, one of those novice primers that really would not help me out much. So I sat it aside and never read a page until just a few weeks ago. As I thought, not much in there that was new to me. Then I came across a statement on powder (loose and pellets) that I had never heard. The author claims that once the seal of a powder keg or box of pellets has been broken and exposed to air, the powder should be used within 4-6 months. Powder used after this time frame significantly begins to degrade and does not provide the performance of freah powder.

Now as I have said, I am not a weekly shooter and dont chronograph my shooting to have eveidence to support or refute the author. In fact, it is hard for me to shoot a whole can of powder or box of pelletsduringhunting season. Therefore I often have powder left over to get me through next season. The powder is stored in a humidity controlled atmosphere, but I seems as though every year I need to always adjust my rifle's scope. This makes me think that maybe the author is correct.

Anybody have feelings on powder longevity? The author may just be trrying to sell more powder, but I would like some info if anyone has it that might show what kind of performance loss one might see when using "old" pwder.

Thanks
TW
Old 10-14-2006, 04:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Powder Longevity???

Well I have had "open" powder and pellet around the house for over a year and it shot fine. I had some Clean Shot that was over four years old and it shot fine. I think a lot has to do with how you store it between use. I keep it in the original container when ever possible. I make sure the powder caps are on straight and tight. Also I store the powder in a cool dry place. So far so good. I usually buy my powder by the case and some of it will sit around the house for some extended times...
Old 10-14-2006, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pellet boxes get air-exposed to a much greater extent than jug powder. Normally jug powder users have either a screw-on pour top with a snap-on cap (or) the user generallly loads a powder flask or two at home & leaves the jug at home.

All the pellets become somewhat exposed when opening the box. Taking the entire box of pellets is very common in my neck of the gun ranges around me.The center hole on pellets draws air too. So a percentage of pellets feel the wrath of air on the outside of the pelletand inside where the hole is.

My state of Michigan is loaded with an overall high humidity index. So shortened-life with pellets can be expected here. In more stable temperature-climateswith overall less humidity indexes, longer pellet life can be expected.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Storing pellets in an airtight container with a packet of silica gel inside will help keep moisture problems at bay . You can buy silica gel at craft supply stores in bulk , anddry the crystals by baking them in your oven once they become saturated .
Old 10-17-2006, 02:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got my first ML rifle as a Xmas gift in 1972. I never considered any factor about powderstorage because I was a dumb@ss kid. But nowadays, I keep my powder in my Fort Knoxgun safe that has a dehumidifier rod running in it all the time.I don't know if that's a plus...it's more for a peace of mind. From what I remember....I bought a pound of ffffg priming powder when I bought my first flintlock rifle in 1976 (I was 18 yrs. old back then)and I had thatpowder sitting on a closet shelf in my bedroom for YEARS and never had a problem with it going off when I used it. I kept it in the original can and kept the capscrewed on tight. I'm not saying that powder can't go bad.....but if you keep it in a somewhat moisturefree environment and keep it sealed up...you should'nt have any problems. Probably what you read was a statement made by a manufacturer that would like you to buy powder more oftenso he can stay in business...BPS
Old 10-17-2006, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Well I have had "open" powder and pellet around the house for over a year and it shot fine. I had some Clean Shot that was over four years old and it shot fine. I think a lot has to do with how you store it between use. I keep it in the original container when ever possible. I make sure the powder caps are on straight and tight. Also I store the powder in a cool dry place. So far so good. I usually buy my powder by the case and some of it will sit around the house for some extended times...
What he said! Storage conditions are the determining factor. I suppose the info in your book has some validity, IN A WET CLIMATE, and some powders are worse than others! Looking at those little plastic boxes that Pyrodex pellets come in, I can't believe they are moisture proof! After opening one, I'd store it in a good sealed GI .50 cal. ammo box. But I don't use pellets, just canistered powders, and if you keep the lids on real tight between range trips, the powder will remainOK.

Any true black powder that is dry enough to pour freely will be just as strong as ever. It is some of the the substitute powders that seem to absorb enough moisture from a humid atmosphere to lose some strength.Just keep them ALL stored in a dry environment!

This stuff, mixed with your loose powders, seems to keep them dry. I use it in my flinlock priming pan powder.

Dry Pan, by RMC, waterproofs blackpowder, makes dry flys float.
#ML002 14oz Price $3.95

Old 10-17-2006, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had Goex 3f black powder fer 26 years in same can and it shoots like new. I had a can of pyrodex rs from 1989 and it had started clumping and was shooting eratic. I poured it out and watered it away.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:43 PM

I just started shooting some Meteor fffg from the late 1970s. My sister picked it up and a can of Superfine blackpowder rifle Powder at an estate sale for $2 and both are shooting excellent. Ive stored opened pyrodex over a year and it shoots the same. Maybe it just has to do with what type of humidity you're in?
Old 10-17-2006, 06:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Well, I have noticed that when powder is no longer good, it has lost it's ether smell and has turned grey!
Old 10-17-2006, 07:34 PM

I know of a Hawken .54 caliber that was purchased at an estate sale last year. The gun was last afield in 1971. After inspection, it was determined to have been put away with a charge and ball in the barrel. The charge fired!!

And, incidently, the bore condition wasn't real bad. The area where the charge had been against the walls of the barrel for 35 years was pitted; but the rifling ahead of the ball was fairly decent. I guess this is a testiment to the dry conditions out here in the western states.