Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow Longevity

Old 06-26-2008, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default Bow Longevity

I have had my bow for a few years now and I figure it's about 6 yrs old (Mathews Q2). Now my question is the following, how long do you guys feel that's it's safe to shoot a bow? I've heard a couple of horror stories regarding bow limbs that have degraded,snapped and caused major injuries to the shooter.....what's your take on this?
Old 06-26-2008, 05:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bow Longevity

I still have a recurve that was made in 1965.

That bow should be good for a lot of years yet, just keep up regular maintance and it should be fine.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

That Q2 is a great rig, I used to have one myself back in '00. The bow is still backed by a lifetime warranty if your the original owner so you shouldn't have any worries. All that is needed is to get the bow inspected every season at your Pro Shop. The only thing you should need to replace is you strings eery season or two and that rig will last you for many more seasons. Good luck and good shootin'
Old 08-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the advice Cornfed, good luck to you too this season! Do you know what that string replacementshould run on that bow?
Old 08-01-2008, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

A bow well taken care of should last many many years.

The cost to replace strings and cables depends on what type of strings and cables you put on it. Myself I would spend the extra $$$ and get Winners Choice or similar top notch set. Mathews make a great bow but they use some of the worst strings and cables out there. You puton a set of Winners choice for around $75.00 + shipping from www.yeoldearcheryshoppe.comI buy most of my Winner's Choice products there they seem to have very good prices.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can still shoot my first compound. It's a 85ish Bear Black Bear II. Every now and again I take a couple shots with it. It's pulls like a bear though...lol 60 lbs, 50% let off at best.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I started bow hunting with a recurve in the late 60s...My first compound was bought in 1975, I used it until about 10 years ago...I thenbought my current bow, it was used so it's at least 15 years old...
The Bear Whitetail is hanging up in the basement, ready to go in case my "new" bow has a problem...
Old 08-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Typical Buck

thanks for the link Steve, are those strings tough to put on?
Old 08-02-2008, 09:29 PM

Interesting thread.

Unrelated:
I have some bike (bicycle) socks with your signature on them, ""Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
~ Benjamin Franklin
Old 08-02-2008, 10:44 PM
Fork Horn

You will have to have a press to put the strings on your self. If not take it to an archery shop and they will do it for you for a fee but no more than it would cost to put on any other set of strings. You might want to do a price check at your local shop and see what the strings and cables would cost there. I know some shops if you buy the stuff there they will install for free or at a cheaper rate.

Quick Reply: Bow Longevity

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.