Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cva bobcat

Old 10-16-2007, 10:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: cva bobcat

I hand lapped mine with water soluable valve grinding compound from NAPA Auto Parts item # 765-2656. I forget now how many strokes I gave it. Then I cleaned it good. And after that I took some J-B bore paste and really made it shine. My Mountian Stalker/Bobcat is without doubt a good shooter.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:25 PM

Default RE: cva bobcat

Dmurp and Pittsburg will probably start having chest pains when they here what I did to hand lap the bore of my Bobcat.

I temporarily misplace my little jar of JB Bore Compound. Went to the hardware store and they didn't have any lapping compound. I picked up a couple of MIBRO polishing compound sticks. I think these are normally used on a polishing wheel. Got a #1 Hard Materials stick and a # 5 Light Polishing. Didn't have any cutting oil, so I looked around in the house and found some sticky hand lotion [Egad] with no lubricating qualities.

Pulled the barrel off the gun and clamped it down on the picnic table with a couple of C Clamps. Used little chunks of wood from a wooden yardstick to keep the C Clamps from marking the barrel. Cut a chunk of material off the #5 stick and mortised it into a powder with a spoon. Rigged up a patch/swab with the sticky hand lotion on a cleaning rod.

Rolled on some powder from the #1 stick and ran a hundred strokes down the barrel, carefully without letting the cleaning rod come in contact with the barrel. Patch/swab turned gray, then black so I knew I was cutting metal. Thorough cleaning. Same thing with the powder from the #1(fine) stick. Again the patch/swab turned gray, then black. Another thorough cleaning.

Next day at the range, the Bobcat was like a different gun. Bore was really slick and a patched ball seated smoothly. The little gun has shot fantastic ever since. Hundred strokes might seem excessive, but the patch/swab I used was not overly tight in the bore. That's why I wasn't worried about cutting too much metal. If anything, I was concerned that I wasn't lapping enough.

I also highly recommend replacing the fixed rear sight with a step adjustable sight. I used one off an old worn out/junker for parts Marlin .22 semi auto. Added about 2 inches of sight radius. It fit right in the dovetail slot, but I could move it around by pushing hard with my thumb. I knocked a little dimple in the dovetail of the sight with a screwdriver and a little hammer and it firmed up in the dovetail slot. Not one to take chances on the rear sight moving by rough handling, I locked it down with a couple of drops of Permatex Thread Locker after sight in. Locktite would also work.

I wear glasses now and that brass blade front sight would starburst on me if any sunlight at all hit it while I was aiming. After a painting with the black nail polish, it is a perfect daytime front sight. So, there you are. My backwoods hand lapping bore job. It worked perfect.

I read a posting on another site where some guy ran about 300 patched ball shots through his Bobcat and it polished the bore out nicely. That would probably work but your shoulder would sure take a pounding. Plus a couple of cans of powder, patches, caps, and 6 boxes of balls........ Ha Ha

...Angel Eyes