Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Pedersoli Co. drops support of Toby Bridges due to his extreme views on Muzzleloading >

Pedersoli Co. drops support of Toby Bridges due to his extreme views on Muzzleloading

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pedersoli Co. drops support of Toby Bridges due to his extreme views on Muzzleloading

Old 10-12-2006, 04:52 PM

Default Pedersoli Co. drops support of Toby Bridges due to his extreme views on Muzzleloading

Pedersoli Co. drops support of Toby Bridges due to his extreme views on Muzzleloading, other sponsors also reconsidering.

"In the past we allowed Mr. Bridges to test our traditional ML rifles as well as our in-line ML rifles and he had our cooperation and limited sponsorship. Due to the new path Mr. Bridges has taken , in which traditional muzzle loading rifles would no longer have their current exclusive hunting period and in which in-line rifles would hunt at the same time as the traditional rifles, we have withdrawn our former support and sponsorship of Toby Bridges.
The Davide Pedersoli company has advised Mr. Toby Bridges to remove our company name from any list of sponsors who support his lobbying efforts because even though we manufacture in-line muzzle loading rifles, we strongly support the use of traditional types of flintlock and percussion lock rifles during hunting periods assigned to muzzle loading rifles.
We always believed that the hunting with muzzleloading guns, both traditional and modern black powder in-line rifles, could co-exist, even if two different muzzleloading hunting seasons would be more required. Certainly we never thought they could get into conflict with each other.
We regret Toby Bridge's decision which surprised us, considering that in the past he took important positions, which we could share, but absolutely not his last one.
The use of traditional muzzleloading rifles for hunting has all the historical, political and rational reasons to continue and to expand and cannot be forced to die, as Toby Bridges warns and predicts (and is trying to make happen) nor can be the enthusiasm and will of people who are dedicated to this traditional sector be disregarded. On the contrary, the traditional muzzle loading guns contributed surely much more than the modern in-line muzzleloading guns have to the muzzle loading hunting being accepted in our states. Rather than trying to promote the in-line rifles and push aside the exclusive hunting season for traditional percussion or flintlock rifles we should all be working to strengthen the separation of hunting seasons for archers, traditional muzzle loading rifles, the powerful in-line rifles and of course the modern cartridge rifles.

The in-line rifles are closer to the modern high power cartridge rifles and we hope that all government officials involved with making or changing hunting rules will recognize the big difference in power and range which in-line rifles (which use conical bullets) have over the traditional antique or replica rifles which use round ball bullets. Both archery hunters and traditional muzzle loading rifle hunters accept the great challenge and limitation of their hunting weapons, the need to stalk the game and get very close in order to make a clean killing shot. For the in-line rifle and modern cartridge rifle hunters a much different challenge is presented and the mixing of traditional and in-line rifles in the field at the same time would be unacceptable to the vast majority of traditional muzzle loading rifle users.
I read the letter Toby Bridges published in his web site in which he explained he has been misunderstood. I acknowledge his effort, however this letter gives me the opportunity to contradict Toby about the in-line rifles being the natural modern evolution of the muzzleloading guns.
The real modern aspect was when many years ago some of the American states opened the hunting season to the muzzleloading guns. This was a modernity sign! What happened later with the introduction of the in-line rifles and the continuous improvements to reach high performances, such as the use of pelletized substitute powder, waterproof ignition systems or sabot bullets, etc. made the modern muzzloading guns get closer to the modern cartridge gun performance. I am convinced that most of the hunters using in-line rifles are only taking advantage of this enhanced performance in a dedicated muzzleloading hunting season. I am also convinced that if the muzzleloading hunting season becomes an "open hunting season", several of the users of the in-line rifles will drop their rifles to hunt only with the modern ones.
I have to say that I am fond of the hunt in all its aspects, I am a hunter with modern guns, with cartridge guns, with muzzleloading traditional guns and with in-line rifles.
Davide Pedersoli is not against the modern in-line rifle hunting, which we consider as an alternative and different activity from the one with traditional guns . Without doubt, hunting with traditional guns must be protected and sustained in the spirit of the rules approved in many of the American states because it gives the American sportsman a hunting challenge and emotional satisfaction which no other type of gun can give."

Pierangelo Pedersoli, President
Davide Pedersoli & C.
Via Artigiani 57
I-25063 Gardone Valtrompia (Brescia) Italy
ph.030 8915000 fax 030 8911019
www.davide-pedersoli.com

Old 10-12-2006, 06:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Pedersoli Co. drops support of Toby Bridges due to his extreme views on Muzzleloading

So the guy is trying to have the federal government tell your fish and game dept it needs to follow his guidelines? Screw him. Let the states set their own rules, they know best how to manage their game.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Pedersoli Co. drops support of Toby Bridges due to his extreme views on Muzzleloading

While it is the right of Pedersolli to drop support of Toby Bridges, I have to agree with Pittsburghunter. The States determines what type of muzzleloader season and restrictions best serve their State. We should let them implement that.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:54 PM

Cay, not sure I understand your point...the two posts are not mutually exclusive...Pitts is in agreementwith the Pedersoli position
Old 10-12-2006, 09:59 PM
Dominant Buck

A modern inline is certainly an improvement over a trad cap and ball or flinter , but it's no match for a modern centerfire rifle , and is just as certainly no reason for trads and inlines to have separate seasons . They're both front loaders and should share the woods equally . I shoot a recurve too , but I would'nt rule out owning a compound some day either . Pedersoli is running the very real risk of alienating the largest ML market going with their silly rhetoric , you can't manufacture inlines and simutaneously run them down without losing credibility . That which does not adapt shall surely die , this is just as true for guns as it is for life itself , evolve or become extinct .
Old 10-12-2006, 10:38 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: roundball

Cay, not sure I understand your point...the two posts are not mutually exclusive...Pitts is in agreementwith the Pedersoli position
What I am saying is Pedersolli is in their full rights IMO to feel and do what they did to Mr. Bridges. Personally I do not agree with all the points Pedersolli makes, but that is simply my personal opinion and I feel no need to go further into that.

As for Pittsburghunter, , Ifeel the games laws which effect our State should be determinedby that State.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:09 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with Cayugad and I hunt with both types of muzzleloaders as well as centerfire rifles. In Arizona we only specify muzzleloader and no nitrocellulous powder. Personally I don't believe my Omega is that superior in performance over my Thompson Center Hawken especially when many of the conicals and sabot/bullet combinations shoot just as well or very close. If someone (any state that decides to) specify that it must be a round ball and like in Pennsylvania even limit to flintlock; that is their choice. To make a general decision like the Pendersoli president is trying to do that inline muzzleloaders are close to centerfire rifles apparently has not shot a lot of centerfire rifles. My 7X57 Mauser (which by the way is very close historically to blackpowder when it was born) is vastly superior in performance to any of my muzzleloaders and not in the same class by any comparison. I think Mr Pedersoli should stick to making great guns and stay out of the states rule making.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:44 AM

Bravo to Pedersoli, not only do I like their stance on this issue,but I also like their guns. Mr. Pedersoli worded his letter well and it took both courage and conviction to do so.

"Let the states decide": sure, each state has it's own circumstances when it come to deer management, but why use the ML'r season to manage the heard. Want more deer killed, open up the limits during gun season, the orange army would be happy to oblige. Using ML'r season to manage the heard is just what Mr. Pedersoli alluded to, just another season to wack more deer.

"Inlines are not the same as centerfires": I'll wager that many of us started our deer hunting with a cartridge like the 30-30, many inlines easily come close to it's velocity and exceed it's energy, the newer ones top both. Then you have the smokelessSavage....

It's refreshing to see a manufacturer stand up and be counted, even more so that they are on an unpopular side of the issue...

Doug
Old 10-13-2006, 05:51 AM

The other view that Toby Bridges has is he wants to ban the use of the patched round ball, and he over exaggerates the effectiveness of the round ball. After corresponding with him through email, he tries to make you believe the patched round ball is totally in capable of ethically & quickly harvesting game with it. This in spite of the fact that the round ball has probably taken more game than any other projectile in history.

Most people that I know who hunt with a PRB will limit themselves to 50 yard shots, and this is clearly within the PRB effective kill zone, but because Toby wants to take 200 yard shots with a ML he wants people to believe the PRB is totally ineffective and is unable to harvest game even within the limits of the projectile.

If you research his writings you will see that he used to brag about the effectiveness of the PRB, but now he's calling it obselete, and wants us to believe it is unable to harvest game, a complete 180 turn in his writings and beliefs.

He is for an outright ban of the PRB which would wipe out traditional muzzleloader hunting.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

The motivation for Pedersoli's positioning is obvious, isn't it? Their bread and butter has been the traditional style rifles for a very long time, only recently had they introduced the more "modern" inlines and without much success in that endeavor as best I can tell (my own specimen of one of their inlines was pathetic at best). They are simply protecting their own financial interests in a cloud of righteousness.

As to their removing sponsorship of Bridges, can't say I blame them.

Quick Reply: Pedersoli Co. drops support of Toby Bridges due to his extreme views on Muzzleloading

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.