Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Range problems

Old 10-11-2006, 01:46 PM

Default Range problems

Well I spent a few hours at the range yesterday and was not very impressed.

I do not have a bore sighter so I pulled the breech out and rested my rifle (Brand new NEF Heritage). I eyed the bullseye and then moved the reticle to the bullseye. I took one shot and I was only about 6 inches from the bullseye at 25 yards. I moved the reticle to the shot and shot a 3-shot group touching eachother at 25 yards cool!

Moved it out to 50 yards and took a shot. It was a bit high and 4" to the left. This is where I screwed up. I started making adjustment the opposite of the way I was supposed to! Doh!

I went back to 25yds and adjusted to the same tight group. Moved it to 50 yds and it was about 5" low! Adjusted properly and then 5" high! Put it back to where it was and hit center of bulleye. I ran out of time range closed at 4pm.

I was using hornady XTP 250 grain. I had a heck of a time loading these things. I need to find another bullet.

I am a little concerned about eratic shots at 50 yards. The pioneer powder sticks seem very inconsistant in size. Some you have to jam into the barrel scraping off powder. I had a couple hang fires and I'm just not feeling comfortable with this stuff.

I'm going to bass pro shops to buy some other combos.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated
Old 10-11-2006, 01:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Range problems

WellI personally would get some Triple Se7en 2f and a pound of Pyrodex RS in loose powder. Get a powder measure and measure your own. One of those powders will work good for you. Your wallet will thank you also. Also get some 240 & 300 grain XTP's and some Harvester crushed rib sabots in bulk. The black sabots are .452 the green are .430 so make sure you match the bullet diameter to the sabot. These should work good.

Using a powder measure dump 100 grains of either of those two powders and have fun. You might have to swab between shots or every other shot, but I think you will more then pleased with the accuracy.

You might also want to try some 250 & 300 grain Shockwaves. The trouble with recommending what projectile will shoot out of your rifle is, they are all different. What works in one might not work in another. But the ones mentioned are known performers in most rifles...
Old 10-11-2006, 03:13 PM

Used to be good at bore sighting.Bore sightingis easier with small bores. Gave it up and got a laser bore sighter several years ago.It works very well, no problems at all.Ibore sight with the laser at25feeton a small bullseye in the house.Every gun that I have used it on was nearly dead on at 25 yards.Even use it on crossbows.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:22 PM

Another thing that sucks is you have to shoot quite a few shots trying all these combos. I'm going to try the 777 ff and some barnes bullets. Not many black powder retail shops in S. California. I think I'm not going to mess with the sticks.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:55 PM

Used to use Clean Shot Pioneer Powder when the sticks were round. It was much more powerful than Pyrodex sticks. But it was very hard to ignite, even with 209 primers-had a lot of misfires with it. Solved that problem by loading five grains of granular Clean Shot before loading the sticks.

Finally,ran out of Clean Shot and now use Pyrodex. I would use Clean Shot If I could find the old stuff with round sticks.