Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

[Deleted]

Old 02-04-2002, 06:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I can see it coming already....

If that is their reasoning, then why doesn't the state of MN allow SINGLE SHOT centerfire rifles for gun deer season?
Old 02-04-2002, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Why, here in Pennsyltucky where I'm now living, they limit us to just flintlocks with round balls!! But, they are a little more liberal with bore diameters, permitting balls smaller than are legal most everywhere else!!
Old 02-04-2002, 05:43 PM

we are already restricted to flints, but I have heard a lot of concern that the future may bring inlines. It may depend on political pressure.
Old 02-04-2002, 07:29 PM

1 shot 1 kill,

I assume you mean a single shot CF for the muzzle-loader season. And that is a good question. Although it is something I would not want to see.
Old 02-05-2002, 07:32 AM
Typical Buck

Wouldchuck,
You stated that in southern MN you are not allowed to use centerfire rifles during deer season, because it is the opinion of the DNR, that anyone with a bolt action or any other repeating centerfire rifle, will spray shots all over the country side, instead of taking that deliberately and precisely aimed first shot.

I am not advocating the use of centerfire rifles during the established muzzlelaoding season, just aksing a question (a little off topic maybe) about the use of CF rifles in your part of the state of MN. But, if I follow the logic of the state of MN's DNR, that only a firearm capable of being loaded with and firing one round at a time, your example of a muzzleloader fits perfectly, then could they not consider establishing a centerfire rifle season limited to SINGLE SHOT centerfires only?
Old 02-05-2002, 02:58 PM

Since we are getting off topic maybe we can go a ways with this one. I think a lot of the shotgun states would be well served with a single shot rifle too. My opinion is that some of the shorter range cartridges such as the 30-30, 45-70 35 Rem and such would work pretty good in these states.
Old 02-05-2002, 03:36 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-05-2002, 04:17 PM

That is a good idea 1 shot, I think single shot rifles would be better all around than shotguns. Perhaps some of our legislators dont know the difference between the two though. It seems like logic and good information seldom make it to the lawmakers. A prime example is the steel shot fiasco. We need more shooters and hunters in government. The problem is that most shooters and hunters wouldnt want to be associated with that crowd. he he
Old 02-08-2002, 05:26 AM

Wow! I finally made it back!

1 shot,

That would be a good idea and I like it. I think the "problem" of bullet carry would still be there. There will still be the ocassional(sp) miss. And in some places around here you can stand on the ground and see a couple miles in almost every direction with nary a tree in sight. Many farm houses though.

Couple that with the fact that the Minnesota DNR is stingy about the number of new seasons they want to open and you can see you're gonna get shot down before you get to the end of the run-way.
Old 02-08-2002, 03:35 PM

Hi,
I'm new here, and would like toss in a few pennies.

One thing that most people forget when it comes to game laws is what is/isn't tradtional in a region. This can also apply to what weapons are used. To use the example of shotguns only in MN. It has also been legal to use handguns in slug only zones for a few years now. But most still don't. Why, because shotguns are what we grew up using. And many would oppose a change for that reason.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.